Act 1 Scene 3

(Bella screaming in pain after a glass from a broken photo cuts her deeply on her toe)

Vida: (Moves closer to her) Bella are you okay?
(Their parents hear Bella's scream and rush to the room)
Vida: Oh no. Bella you're bleeding.
(Their parents enter the room)
Bella: This is all your fault!
Vida: Sorry.
George: Vida! (Vida shakes in fear) What did you do to your sister?
Vida: I didn't do anything to her.
Macy: What happened here?
Bella: (crying) It's all her fault! I was telling Vida to stop crying when she pushed me to the table and the photo fell on my leg. Father it hurts so much.
George: (Yelling at Vida) Vida, why would you do that? What has gotten into you?
Vida: Father, she's lying, that's not true! That's not what happened.
George: Can't you see she's in pain? I can't believe you're still lying.
Vida: Am not lying, am telling the truth. I didn't do it.
Bella: Vida, would you stop lying? Why are you still lying?
Macy: That's enough! We can do this later. Right now, Bella needs to go to the hospital.
(George carries Bella in his arms and they all leave for the hospital)

(At the hospital)

Doctor: (Treats the wound) She'll be fine. Just keep her toe from water and don't let her walk around too much.
George: Alright, thank you doctor. (George and Bella come out to meet Macy and Vida)
Macy: What did the doctor say?
George: The doctor said she'll be fine. She just needs to stay away form water and get some rest.
Macy: Okay. Come Bella, sit. (Bella sits beside her and George sits down beside them) What about the bill?
George: I had to use the money for the light bill to cover it.
Macy: It's okay, we can pay the light bill later.
Bella: Father, I want to go home.
George: Okay, Let's go home. (They all leave for home)

(At home, Macy and George's room)

Macy: George, we need to talk.
George: About what?
Macy: I didn't like the way you yelled at Vida today. It wasn't right. You yelled at her before the accident and even after.
George: And I don't like the way you keep defending Vida, even when she's wrong. I mean she almost made her sister lose a toe.
Macy: Okay, now you're just exaggerating. And I know she didn't push Bella.
George: Who else could have done it. They were the only ones in the room.
Macy: Tell me did you see Vida push her?
George: No.
Macy: Neither of us saw what happened. You can't blame her without knowing the truth. And Vida isn't the type to deny something she did. She's honest and you know that.
George: She has changed. She's not the girl she used to be. Didn't you hear about what she did in school?
Macy: My love, Vida never did that before so why would she do that now, especially when she knows it will make you angry? I think Bella is playing at something here.
George: Good, now you're blaming Bella for Vida's wrong doings.
Macy: George, you should know Bella by now. You know what she did when I told her she couldn't get that doll from the store. She stole money from my purse and bought it anyway. It was Vida that told the truth. Remember when she was supposed to go to school but she went to her friends house. Bella could be behind this too.
George: She only did those things because you pay way too much attention to Vida. If you had given her even a little attention, she won't have done such.
Macy: That's because you are already giving more than enough attention to Bella and none to Vida. Vida is a good girl. And she doesn't deserve to treated that way.
George: She's wrong. Do you just expect to watch her grow that way?
Macy: Even if she's wrong. You went too far. Why don't you use that method on Bella instead maybe she'll shape up. Doing that to Vida will only scare her away from you.
George: If that's what it takes for her to stop. Then I'll let her be scared of me.
Macy: You're gonna regret this when you find out she never did anything.
George: We'll see about that.
Macy: (in a low tone) So stubborn.
(They both go to sleep)

(The next day at school, the family is present at the principal's office, including their teacher)

Principal: Mr and Mrs Salvador. I presume you know the reason why you were called to the school?
Macy: Yes. We know.
Principal: Well then I'll go straight to the point. Your daughter Annavida was caught outside class before break with food which wasn't from home or the school canteen. We called your attention to find out why she did that and seek the best possible way to punish her. Her teacher, Miss Valentine, insist that she was set-up. We also want to know if that's true.
Macy: To be honest, I also think my daughter was set-up. And that's why am here. I want to know what truly happened.
Teacher: Am glad we're on the same page, Mrs Salvador. It's not like am trying to defend Vida or anything. It's just... I know Vida and I know she would never want anything that will bring worry to her parents. The one who usually behaves such way is your daughter, Bella.
George: Bella?
Principal: Miss Valentine told me just yesterday that your daughter Bella has been very naughty compared to Vida.
Teacher: Mr and Mrs Salvador, I know I should have informed you earlier but I didn't know it would reach this point. You may not know this but Bella usually buys food outside before break to eat. She and Riley are allies in sneaking out the school. I caught her three days ago doing that when I followed them without them knowing.
Macy: What!
George: What!
Teacher: That's not all. She doesn't hand in her assignment on time, she's always fighting with her classmates and just last week, she fought with Vida. I've tried to caution her but I think she's beyond my control. Vida has absolutely nothing to do with all of this.
Macy: (to George) (angry)Tell me now George. Who is it that's embarrassing you. Is it Vida or Bella?
George: (silent)
Macy: (angry) Why are you quiet? Aren't you going to say anything?
Principal: Please be calm Mrs Salvador. We are gathered here for Vida not Bella. I already asked Vida if she really did eat outside and she said yes.
Macy: Principal, I know Vida and ever since she told us yesterday, I knew something was off. Vida is not someone to do such. She's not that kind of girl. The both of them don't have access to any money unless we give it to them. I honestly don't know where Bella got the money to buy food in the past but I know that Vida cannot be involved.
Principal: But I saw Vida and the food with my very own eyes.
Macy: That doesn't prove that she was the one who bought and ate the food.
What if she just met it there? Or what if she's covering for someone?
Teacher: That's exactly what I have been trying to say.
Principal: Alright, since you think she was set-up, we might as well get to the bottom of this but how do we even do that when she refuses to talk.
George: She told us yesterday that she begged for money from a certain Jane or so.
Teacher: Jane?
Principal: Miss Valentine, kindly call Jane.
(Jane is called in)
Principal: Jane.
Jane: Yes, ma'am?
Principal: Can you tell me who's your friend here?
Jane: Vida.
Principal: Okay. Did you or did you not give money to Vida yesterday?
Jane: I didn't ma'am.
Principal: Have you ever given her money before?
Jane: No, never.
Principal: How close are the two of you?
Jane: She's my best friend.
Principal: Okay, has she ever gone to buy food from outside the school during school hours?
Jane: No, she hasn't. We eat together during break.
Principal: Alright Jane, you may go now. (Jane leaves) (To the girls) Now either one of you tell me the truth or you both get punished.
(The both of them are quiet)
Principal: Miss Valentine. You mentioned an accomplice of Bella, right?
Teacher: Yes, Riley.
Principal: Call him in. (Riley is called in) Riley.
Riley: Yes ma'am?
Principal: Do you have a friend present here?
Riley: Yes ma'am.
Principal: Who is it?
Riley: Bella.
Principal: Now, do you know the reason you were called for?
Riley: No ma'am.
Principal: Well I just found out that Bella has been bringing money to school for the both of you to buy food outside and eat before break. You should know that I don't tolerate lies. I'll only ask you this once and if I find out you lied.... You're gonna be sorry.
Now what I just found out, is it true or false?
Riley: (looks at Bella) (Bella also looking at him, uses her finger to secretly imply a 'no')
Principal: Riley.
Riley: Yes ma'am.
Principal: Is the question hard?
Riley: No ma'am.
Principal: Then answer the question.
Riley: (sweating in fear while looking at Bella and the principal)