Act 1 Scene 4

(Riley sweating in fear as he looks at the principal and Bella)

Principal: I asked you a question Riley.
Riley: (lowers his head) It's true ma'am.
Principal: Hmm.... Did Vida join you?
Riley: No ma'am.
Macy: I think it's all clear now, principal. It was a set-up.
Riley: We didn't mean to set her up. It's just that when Vida came to warn us, we saw the principal coming behind her and we ran away.
Principal: Well, now you know what they mean when they say you can run but not hide. Now that the truth is revealed. It's time for you all to serve your punishments. That includes you too Vida. This will serve as a reminder to others not to cover for anyone's bad doing. Mr and Mrs Salvador, I trust you will handle Bella.
Macy: Oh we'll handle her, we'll handle her well.
Principal: Ok, Good. Bella is suspended from school for three days and the same goes for Riley. But since Riley said the truth, he'll be given suspension for only two days. Vida, your teacher will give you your punishment. Bella you are going to write an apology letter to both me and your teacher and I expect to see it on my table as soon as you resume. Thank you Mr and Mrs Salvador for coming.
Macy: If there's nothing else, we'll be on our way. (They all stand up) Vida will be coming with me. I need to make sure she's okay.
Principal: Okay, they both will be excused from school today.
Macy: Thank you. Vida let's go. (They all leave)

(At home)

Macy: Vida, to upstairs, I need to talk to your sister.
Vida: Yes mother. (She leaves)
(Bella holding her father's hand in fear)
Bella: (in a low tone) Father, please help.
George: (in a low tone) You're gonna have to dance to your own music Bella.
Bella: (In a low tone) Father please help me. I don't want to die now.
George: You should have thought of that before you made trouble.
(Macy staring angrily at the both of them for a while with her hand folded)
Macy: (still folding her hands) Annabella.
Bella: (in a fearful tone) Yes... Mother?
Macy: Come here.
Bella: (slowly walk s up to her in fear)
Macy: Sit down. (They both sit) Tell me, where did I go wrong in raising you? Why are you always bringing me nothing but trouble! Where did you get the money for the food you've been buying?
Bella: From the money in the drawer.
Macy: You stole? Again? What did I tell you I will do to you if you stole one more time.
Bella: That... That am going to get beaten.
Macy: Well it seems like that's what you want, right?
Bella: No mother, please forgive me. I just get hungry every time in class because I couldn't eat breakfast.
Macy: That's not an excuse for you to steal. Listen, you are going to get heavily punished for stealing. That money you stole was for the bills, your father took the money for the light bill just yesterday only to get you treated. You are going to pay back that money. For the next three days you are going to do all the work in this house. It's either that or a beating. Do I make myself clear?
Bella: Yes mother.
Macy: And now about the accident last night. Was it Vida who really pushed you?
Bella: No. I hit the table by mistake that's why.
Macy: Bella, how could you blame your sister for such a thing? (Sighs) Take a rest. Once your injury is fully healed, your punishment starts and.... Apologise to your sister.
Bella: Yes mother.
Macy: Go upstairs.
Bella: Yes mother. (She leaves)
Macy: (stands up staring at George)
George: I'm sorry. I should have listened to you love.
Macy: Oh don't 'love' me. You need to apologise to Vida and you are also responsible for Bella. I don't care how you're going to do it. But I want Vida happy and Bella behaved.
George: Thank you for not yelling at Bella.
Macy: Don't thank me just yet because she's gonna be doing a lot of work in this house.
George: Love, I...
Macy: Don't 'love' me (she leaves)
George: (sighs)

(Later in the day)
(George walks into the girls' room)

George: Bella, could you excuse us for a bit, I need to talk to your sister Vida.
Bella: Okay. (She leaves)
George: Vida, how are you?
Vida: Am fine, father.
George: (sits down beside her) Vida dear, I know I was wrong for yelling at you without finding out the truth. I'm sorry. I'm sorry also for blaming you for your sister's accident. Could you please forgive father?
Vida: It's okay, father. I understand.
George: (smiles) We can't let you spend the rest of the day at home. Wanna go out?
Vida: I don't really feel like going out. Also, I don't want to waste money.
George: Dear, you're not wasting money. The money I earn is for this family which includes you and what is the use of having money if you can't provide for your family and make them happy? Come on, tell me where you want to go.
Vida: I don't want to go anywhere, really father, am fine, don't worry about me.
George: (smiles) Alright. If that's what you want. (About to leave when Vida calls him)
Vida: Father?
George: (turns to her) Yes?
Vida: Do you love me?
George: Of course I do. Why would you ask that? (Sits back beside her)
Vida: I just feel like you love Bella more.
George: No dear, that's not true. I love you both equally. You're both my daughters and I love you as much as I love her. It just....sometimes, she needs to be corrected with love, you know what she's like.
Vida: Is that why you are always harsh on me? Because mother uses love to correct me?
George: No Vida, you won't understand. I'm sorry if I have been harsh on you. I'm going to make it up to you. Is that okay?
Vida: (nods in agreement)
George: I'll get going now.
Vida: Okay.
George: Bye.
Vida: Bye. (George leaves)
(Bella enters the room)
Bella: What did father tell you?
Vida: He just talked to me.
Bella: (scoffs) No matter what he told you, he loves me more than he loves you.
Vida: He's still my father whether he loves me or not. It doesn't change the fact that I have a connection to him.
Bella: Well we're gonna find out how strong that connection is when I tell father what you did.
Vida: Why are you always looking for trouble Bella. I did that for our family and I'm going to finish what I started.
Bella: Not before I tell father.
Vida: Fine, you want to play it that way? Tell him. Let's see if he'll believe you after what just happened.
Bella: (angry) Watch me.

(They both go downstairs but Vida hides in a corner eaves dropping as Bella stops George from leaving)

Bella: Father!
George: (turns to her) Yes?
Bella: I have something to tell you.
George: What is it?
Bella: It's about what Vida did. She...
George: (cuts in) What exactly do you have against your sister, Bella? Why are you always finding ways to put her in trouble?
Bella: Am not. She...
George: (cuts in) Save it. I don't want to hear anymore of your lies.
Bella: But father...
George: (cuts in) Bella, I have to go to work. You already delayed me today in school.
Bella: But...
George: Bye, Bella. Be good. (He leaves)
(Vida comes out of her hiding place smiling at Bella as Bella frowns at her)
Vida: (smiling) Still wanna tell on me?
Bella: Smile... for now. (She leaves)