Chapter 23

Kairi's POV:

Kairi's POV:

"Seems I do know her better than you." I say to Zoro before walking down the stairs and towards the kitchen.

Sanji pulls his fishing rod back in and joins me in the kitchens not to long after I got in there.

"I didn't know you could talk to dolphins." Sanji says.

"You heard that?" I ask.

"Yeah, what were they saying?"

"I asked them how things are in the sea and they told me that since a lot of the fishmen have been keeping out of the sea, things have been better." I say.

"That's good." Sanji says.

"Yeah, I just worry that after this some may go back into the water and disrupt the peace."

"We'll make sure that doesn't happen." Sanji says, placing his hand on my shoulder.

Before I could reply Zoro, Luffy and Usopp joined us in the kitchen.

"Before we go and find Nami, I think we all need to talk." Luffy says.

"About what?" Zoro asks.

"About Kairi." Luffy says and everyone turns their gaze to me.

"Hi." I wave a little, not liking the attention.

"You took down Kuro with a splash of water that came from nowhere. You saved my life when I was drowning, where you had a tail and you have powers. What are you?" Luffy asks.

"I'm a mermaid." I say at the same time as Sanji says. "Clearly she's a mermaid."

"They exist?" Luffy asks, a childlike wonder in his eyes.

"The Eastern pod was massacred a few years back. There was only a few survivors, those that lived swam off to join other pods. I was two and I couldn't find anyone so I just stayed here. I didn't know what to do. Then I met a pirate crew, they were the best. I helped them catch fish to eat, taught them other ways to navigate and they taught me how to work on a ship, how to fight and how to live. I wouldn't have survived without Shanks." I say.

"Shanks?!" Luffy shouts in shock.

"Yeah, why?" I say.

"Shanks was the person who taught me how to be a pirate. This is his straw hat." Luffy says.

"When did you meet him?" Luffy asks.

"When I was seven and I stayed until I was twelve. Then I had to leave because Mihawk was coming after them." I tell them. "He didn't want me to be caught in the crossfire so I headed back to the sea. I haven't seen him since."

"I hope I get to see him again one day." Luffy says.

"Me too." I say.

"So, what are your powers?" Zoro asks me, interrupting our moment.