Part 16 - Unpredictable fate

"(Aisa kya maang raha Bholenaath se ki iski pooja khatam hi nahi ho rahi aaj?) What is he asking from Bholenath that his prayer is not ending today?"

Clad in blue hoodie munching on an apple, the boy inquired from other guys who were either gazing at the temple where one guy could've been seen praying while others were looking at laptop screens on table or eating.

"(Pata nai, mere ko to ye bhi samajh nahin aata ye kyun 16 somvar vrat rakhta hai ye to ladkiyon ka hota na.) Don't know, I don't even understand why he does 16 Mondays fast? Isn't it for girls Nikhil?"

"(Nahi Ladke bhi karte hai, par aaj ke ladko mein wo anushasan ya bhakti nahin ki itna kathin vrat kar sake.) No, boys also do it, but today's boys do not have the discipline or devotion to observe such a difficult fast."

"That's right Yash, I've even heard from my mother, the first one who observed this fast was a male priest. Anyway leave all Yash and Nikhil, look at this."

Turning the laptop screen towards Nikhil and Yash, he showed them search history. "What is the feeling of instant attraction, familiarity, restlessness and curiosity called? How does one feel in love? How does one know they're in love? Is love at first sight true or false? Many more questions regarding love. They all glanced at each other on seeing the search history.

"Does that mean our hermit friend is finally in love?"

In enthusiasm they all hugged each other but parted at the sound of the door opening. They looked at the entrance, only to see their friend coming with prasad of Mahadev so they asked in union.

"(Ho gayi pooja? Ab Bata kaun hai wo? Kaha mila usse?) Done with prayer? Tell, who is she? Where did you meet her?"

"(Mahadev ka prasad khao mera dimag nahi.) Eat Mahadev's prasad, not my brain."

Saying this he offered them the offering of Mahadev. Even though his reply made them exchange glances with each other with a smirk and followed him behind. As he picked the books and pen. Then checked some documents from the table.

"Which phase is this? Dilemma phase denial phase?"

"Its concealing phase."

Listening to this everyone burst into fits of laughter. But watching him picking the documents and hurrying out of the house Nikhil asked him.

"You aren't even participating in the Student Union election then.. why?"

"To increase voting percentage. To remind youth the power of voting rights. And the worth of using it."

"You think it'll work? They're educated and aware of it, but they still aren't, so why."

"For questions like this, Shri Hari had said you have only the right to your actions, never to the fruits. Let not the fruits of action be your motive, nor let your attachment be to inaction."

"But isn't a full voting percentage your motive for your actions here Ashish?"

"No, it's my duty as student union leader, not my motive."

"Then what's your motive for keeping 16 Monday fasts? Now don't say there's no motive but duty as a devotee."

"Park my bike and meet me at the lab."

Instead of answering he instructed Nikhil who was seated behind him on bike while stopping the bike at the entrance of University then took his bag and headed towards the principal office.

"Excuse me, Sharma Sir, what's the matter here?"

Touching the feet of the professor out of respect he inquired while looking in the direction he pointed only to freeze at the sight of a familiar face, filled with disbelief, joy and worry he almost approached her but hearing words of Professor he stopped and reluctantly averted his gaze from her to professor.