Chapter 1: Pilot

Since I was born I was always an extrovert, I had many friends and I was never bored. I would always be doing something whether it would be helping my dad with his guard duties or helping my friends with their homework. I could never sit still. I loved exploring the ark, I practically knew the whole ship like the back of my hand. Well, that was all before I got caught stealing rations for my family, and I got sentenced to live out my teenage years in a metal box. How bloody fun.

The earth was destroyed 98 years ago by nuclear bombs and is now simmering with radiation. Luckily some of our ancestors were smart, they made 13 different space stations which all joined together to form the Ark. Which is where I live. If you did anything wrong or anything that goes against the rules, you'd get floated. Being floated is when they lock you in an airtight room, and push a button which opens the hatch. Once the hatch opens out to outer space, you get sucked out, all of the oxygen disappears and you die. Then your lifeless body floats around in space. Bit scary isn't it? But you're not allowed to get floated if you're under 18, like me! But that's not saying you can't get convicted. All of the under-18 prisoners are kept here in what we call the Sky Box.

My mum got floated when I was only 8, so a year before I got sent to the skybox. Her death was quite unexpected and I don't really like to show it but her death did affect me. When she died, I think a piece of me went with her, but she's in a better place now.

<——————>

As I lay down, looking up towards the metal ceiling, thinking about how horrible life has become . I haven't seen my dad in ages, nor my friends, teachers, even neighbours. I sit there, With my hands supporting my head, thinking about what I would be doing right now if I hadn't got caught. But a sudden sound dragged me out of my thoughts. Multiple screams were coming from around my cell. Then my cell door cracked open, revealing two guards, they were quite tall and both wore matching navy guard suits. The only thing separating the two of them was the electric baton one held. Every time a guard comes into my room, I pray it's my dad. Even though he is part of the guard, I never see him. Maybe the guards with kids in the sky box aren't allowed to patrol here.

"Prisoner 126, face the wall!" the guard commands harshly. In his hands was a metal box, inside was a bracelet, not the dainty type that you would see your grandma wear, no, the thick type that had small spikes sticking out of it. It's too early for mealtime, and I only have earth skills on a Monday, so what's this all about? Am I... being floated? no no, I can't be I'm not 18, but why the hell are they here?

"Wait what's this about?" I ask shooting up from the bed. The guards take a few steps closer as I slightly inch back.

"Face the wall," the voice boomed again. Well, they have a short temper. I stand my ground for a few more seconds before the other guard makes his way towards me. He grabs my arm and pushes me much harder than he needs to towards the wall. I try fighting back but there's really no point. What's a short 12-year-old girl going to do against 2 armed guards?

With my body now fully against the wall, I peer my head behind to see what's going on. When a sharp piercing sensation shoots up my arm. "Oww," I groan, spinning around to face them, but my eyes stayed glued to the bracelet "What the hell is this!" I shout trying to slide it off.

"Don't try and take it off," the guard says sternly. "Now get moving," he says as he grabs my shoulder and pushes me out of the door. I didn't expect to be so rudely pushed as my feet couldn't keep up and I fell flat on my face. Lifting my head, I look towards the scene taking place in front of me. Everyone was being shoved out of their cells, trying by any means to fight back. But this just leads to them getting the shock baton. I had the shock baton once, it was not nice, I mean I could still feel it even after two days!