Chapter 14: Unity Day

Once Bellamy and Clarke returned home from their day trip they came bearing gifts, guns. Now I'm not sure why they thought this to be a good idea as a bunch of juvenile teenagers running around with guns sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I'm not saying that it's a dumb idea, even though it is, but they are most likely the only thing that will keep us alive from the ground. It's not like it matters to me anyway as Clarke made sure I didn't get my hands on any gun.

At first, everyone was nervous about the news of the grounder, everyone was on edge. But Bellamy being Bellamy, did the only thing he was good at, controlling the people. He set up a strict rotor that had eyes outside the camp at all times, and every one of these 'guards' had guns.  But ever since the grounder had disappeared Bellamy and Clarke have been going off at me, asking if I let him go. But every time they ask I say no. But it's not just Clarke and Bellamy having a go at me, it's Finn too. Because when he pulled me out of the situation with Kate I never really told him the full story.

There still going through the list of kids who need to speak to their parents, and for some reason, they decided to do it in the opposite of alphabetical order, so since my last name begins with a C I'm at the very bottom of the list, which is bloody annoying. I just want to speak to my dad and make sure he's ok.

However today they have put a pause on letting the kids speak to their parents as they need the screen to display Unity Day. Some people have a strong hatred for Unity Day while others love it. But to be honest I really couldn't care less, it's one more holiday they made up to celebrate a bad thing.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity day," the much-alive chancellor Jaha speaks from the other side of the tiny screen. Around half of us are all watching the screen with our friends, I'm standing in the middle of Harper and Monty with Jasper near us as well. "Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the ark, but this time it is the last time we do so while aboard her, next year, on the ground," he says while the speaker is filled with cheers from the other side.

"Right. After we did all the work. Someone shut him up," Miller spoke up, you would have thought that he'd stop being a dick once the grounder left, but I guess that's just his personality.

"You shut up miller," Raven retorts, "no one's forcing you to watch," I snigger slightly at her comment which earns a dirty look from Miller.

Miller walks off, probably trying to find some of his friends, as Jaha keeps speaking "For 97 years we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to earth,"

Monty and Jasper who were both standing next to me a minute ago seemed to have disappeared off somewhere. I look around hoping to find them but instead, I see Clarke and Finn. Saying where I'm going to Harper, I wander off towards them.

"Hey guys," I say cheerfully as I reach them. "Why are you lot back here and not watching from the front?" I question.

"Finn doesn't like Unity Day, so I'm trying to cheer him up," Clarke says with a rather big smile on her face. I'm surprised that they have stayed this close even with Everything that happened with the raven.

"I mean I'm not the biggest fan of Unity Day myself but it's not that bad. Why don't you like it?" I ask Finn, confused about how it can be so bad.

"Unity day is a lie. The Ark only came together after the thirteenth station was blown out of the sky. Just not the version of history we like to tell each other at parties." Finn says truthfully.

I nod my head, almost agreeing with what he has to say "The Unity Day story gives people hope, though, and peace came out of that violence," Clarke replies to him.