Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

A/N: Sorry for the flaky updates. It's been a busy couple of week with a new job and moving so sorry to just drop this...

"I'll go to a hotel, Ope. We'll be fine," I smiled sadly. There was no way I was going to put him in any more danger because of my selfishness.

My father would eventually come to find me and not even my aunt's decision to put me on the chopping block for XYZ amount of money which I'm sure it was barely scraping the surface because my father did not give out large amounts of money unless you were transporting or supplying him with work. She did neither so...

I gave him a peck on the cheek before turning to leave.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me into a tight hug. The warmth and safety never got old, but I knew that if I wanted to feel this hug again then I had to get the Hell away from him. So I treasured this moment and soaked up the warm embrace and took a deep breath then finally pulled away for the second time.

"Be safe, amico mia."

Opie was so cute for that and no, I wasn't crying but my cheeks seemed to have been splashed with water.

Delilah interlaced our fingers and pulled me to a different car that she popped open quickly and told me to get in the back and lie down. She wore a black hoodie and pulled it up to cover her hair to keep herself hidden as well.

We drove away from Opie.

My heart broke.

After a few days, I just fell into silence and deep thought. Delilah would go out and get us food as we were locked up in some rinky-dink place until we could safely get out of the country and go back home. I stared at the desecrated walls with its peeling paint and faded wallpaper. My eyes got sleepy and I'd wake up to do it all again.

"We got a ride," Delilah spoke to me over a bowl of spaghetti. "It's heading out later tonight and we need to meet up at the landing before it heads out."

"Where are we going next?"

"Wherever you want, Lanna."

I took another bite of my pasta and hummed at the thought of where my next hiding place would be.

"I don't want to hide."

"Are we gearing up for war?", Delilah wondered.

I shook my head.

This was the moment that I realized I couldn't get my way. It's either I kill my father, the most powerful man I know, or I go into a hole and hide for the rest of my life.

"Here's a thought," Delilah started. "We train you up some more and then I let you move to where you need to move. You learn to protect yourself and I let you do what you need to do to have a normal life."

I chewed my bottom lip.

"Why can't my life be simple?", I asked softly.

Delilah shoved me playfully and I smiled but it was still very hard to think about everyone around me getting hurt because of me.

Hopefully this move helped me live life the way I wanted.