(2)

The detective presses the red button on the large recorder that sat on the side of the desk.
"Why did you yell at the man. Did you have any other affiliation with him?" The detective clicks his byro pen.

"He ran into my house I saved him from hypothermia. That was all that happened. I gave him a blanket and the ambulance popped up." I sigh and sit back.

"I hope your realise that if you are lying you are jeopardising your future." The guard stares at me.

"Okay. Considering there are no other witnesses, I have to let you go. We will be keeping tabs. Thank you." The detective shakes my hand firmly. The sergeant led me out of the station.

The cold, bitter and chilling wind shocked my body. I start my car up and it struggles to gain traction. I carefully reverse out of the car park and drive away back to the hospital. The pleasant and mellow scent of the integrated Starbucks on the ground floor, soothed my nostrils. I pressed my finger and the elevator door opened.

Behind and beside me were more elevators. I walk in and the nauseous feeling of the elevator sickened my stomach. I find my way back to Doris' ward. On my way I notice a family with a child clinging onto his Dad's coat. The corridor smells of chlorine and medicine. The kid suddenly runs up to me and hugs the breath out of me. The family chuckles sweetly and I realise the kid has no hair. Cancer.

"You look like my Auntie." The child's voice echoed in my head.

"Is that a good thing?" I smile and lower my intimidating personality.

"Yeah. She was funny." The family's mood changes.
"Will you see me again, lady?" His childly voice brings a tear into my eye.

"Of course."

"We might see each other again when we go up in the sky to heaven!" The boy shouted happily. "Do you believe in heaven?"

I gently lower my hand on to his shoulder.

"When you are older you will see heaven." I stutter.

"I don't think I will get old." The boy hugs me again.

"We all do. Go see your parents bud." I wave goodbye.

If I am like his aunt she mustn't be a nice person. Poor lad. I finally made it to Doris and I sit in a plastic chair. Doris snores peacefully with a slight twitch. I say goodbye to him as he sleeps and I leave the hospital.

The breeze was as cold as frostbite until it was sealed away upon sitting in my Honda. I drive through a junction and make my way to a café where I will be meeting Katie. I park in a parking space, I wrap my black fluffy coat around me and I am greeted with a cosy, cafe warmth. I call Katie and I put the phone up to my ear.

"I'm at the Costa." She hangs up abruptly during my sentence. Suddenly a waiter approaches me.

"What can I do for you ma'am." He asks politely. I sit at Table 5 and slide my phone into my coat pocket.

"Two cappuccinos please darling. Just my regular." I smile and the waiter takes notes.

"Thank you that's all I need." The young waiter walks away.

The bell rings and someone walks into the café. The sunset blinded my vision of who it was but when they sit at my table I figured it was Katie. The group that set next to the blinds pulled them down and we exchanged smiles across the room with the kind group of friends.

"Why did you end the call?" I say.

"Traffic, Skyler."

"What's the matter anyway?" Katie asks me.