(14)

Chris POV

The night sky begins to dim as morning nears. I switch gears and hit the brakes a few seconds later when I realise someone is laying on the road. I can't believe that someone is out this late at night. I grab my phone and turn the Torch on. The light illuminated a skinny person with tattered clothing. They had the skin of a crocodile. Until I realised it was just sewage that had polluted the skin of this stranger.

I grab a towel from my car boot. I freeze when I hear a painful and ear-shattering groan. I think it is Skyler. What the hell is she doing out here? I walk up to her but my theory is incorrect because Skyler dyed her hair from time to time so her hair shouldn't be brown. Unless it is sewage. My question is why would she go in the sewers? I try calling emergency services but it's no use.

I stop thinking and wrap this unknown individual in the red towel. The sewage seeps instantly through the towel almost tearing it apart. I come up with another plan. I get my new clothes I had just bought at the cheap shop. I drench the sewage out of the towel and almost vomit what might have been blood. The stench hovers around my nose like a pest. The only way I would be able to clean her or him is if I gather water from the clean river in the woods.

The only thing I don't like is him or her being by themselves. My arm feels like it is about fall off because of the numbing cold.

I rush into the woods that lies on top of the ancient sewage tunnels. The crystal clear stream sparkles under the luminous moonlight. I grasp my flask that hung at my trouser belt. Bubbles of air ripple through the water. I close the lid and run back to my van. I pour water all over this random person and the crickets make a huge racket. To my shock I realise it is Skyler.

I lift her on to my shoulders and stamp through the thick mud. I sit her in the back seat and drive to my home. The cafe. After a few minutes I ended up driving through a few streets until I reach the Town Centre. The centre is really calm and I only spot a few cars drive by. I look in the rearview mirror and notice Skyler's skin is now darkening. The colour of her smooth face is recuperating slowly. Another minute in the cold like that and she would be dead.

I park around the back of the café and take her upstairs. I call an ambulance to assist. I lay Skyler on the sofa and pray she wakes up. The howling and whistling of the wind burns my ears with anxiety. I touch her face with sorrow. But I couldn't think about anything else apart from a question.

Why was Skyler is the old sewer tunnels?

Like, who walks in the middle of the night? That's terrifying and dangerous. But also strange. I check her pulse and luckily she is alive. The ear-screeching sirens of the ambulances fill the street and the blue lights flood my room. I rush downstairs and paramedics rush through and tend to Skyler. A policeman walks up the stairs and asks me a couple of questions. The usual ones about where, what and possibly why.

The paramedics carry her to the ambulance.

"I'm coming too." I sigh and follow the paramedics carrying Skyler on a portable bed.

Is sit in the back with one paramedic and the other two are in the cockpit talking and driving quickly.

The lights turn a dark blue.

"Is she going to be okay?" I ask with a frail voice.

"As far as I can tell she almost entered a dangerous stage of hypothermia. We are running a few bloods soon at the hospital. For now we are keeping an eye on her." The paramedic comforts me with a smile.

His blonde short hair covers his left eye like an eye-patch. If they don't give you a straightforward answer it normally means they are 50/50 when it comes to dying.

"Tip. How far are we from the hospital?" The paramedic questions curiously.

"Two miles roughly. We'll be there soon Connor." Tip look in the rearview mirror.

"Her temperature is decreasing again. I am gonna run a few quick scans." Connor says with urgency in his voice.

"What's happening?" I panic.

"She is losing warmth. If she gets too cold the enzymes in her body will freeze. Which means she will die. Hold that little tube for me." Connor passes me a tube.

I notice a thick silicone plastic bag. There are two holes in it. One has a green rim and the other is red.

"That bag. I want you to plug the tube into the green hole." Connor stares at me with a flushed face.

"Done. What next?" I panic in a frenzy.

"Calm down. It's okay. The other tube is next to Skyler. I want you to plug that in as well."

"Okay. Now give me the bag. I want you to take one of the two connected tubes and plunge the needle into her arm." Connor checks the heart beat monitor.

"Now what?" I shout with fear curdling in my voice.

"Here is the liquid. Pour it into the small bag." I grab the tiny cylinder of white liquid and pour every drop inside.

The heart rate monitor accelerates abruptly. The liquid flows through the thin wires and drops into her internal body. The needle firmly placed in the arm. The tissue surrounding it begins to dampen.

"Shit! Grab the wire and squeeze. I will tighten the needle." Connor shouts over the ambulance engine as well as the beeping of the monitor.

I do exactly as I am told and Connor crawls over and adjusts the needle steadily.

"Let go." Connor orders. I step away and the monitor calms.

"Tip. We better be at the goddamn hospital." Connor stands up.

"We have arrived. Mark. Help them take the patient in to the wards." Tip looks at the front right passenger seat.

"Yup." Mark leaps out of the ambulance and opens up the back.

"Strap her to the bed. Make sure she is warm. Any sudden temperature change is fatal." Tip assists us to the emergency ward.