(20)

"Shoot me and you will make things worse dear." Alex taunts me on the landing.

"Tell me everything. Before we burn to death." I threaten.

"Well. The thing is Skyler. I never killed anyone. See. Do you smell that in the air?" Alex smiles.

"Yeah, it's smoke. Hurry up." Katie nudges up the stairs slightly.

"No. Don't move a muscle, Katie. Also. As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted." Alexander clears his throat.

"I never killed anyone. You guys walked right in and got yourselves killed. Just like the others."

"What do you mean?" Chris asks before the inferno suddenly spreads into the corridor. Alex flees The scene and we run after him. The inferno flushes upstairs.

"Guys come on!!" I yell behind me. I was ahead of everyone else. I rush out of the window and jump out. I land like a catapulted boulder into the swimming pool. I hear two splashes. That means only two escaped with me. I swim out of the swimming pool and the golden blaze has replaced the sunlight.

Ash falls upon me and all sorts of burn ornaments and whatnot. I look around for the third escapee. Then I hear and see another splash. I return to the surface and the marble surface beside the pool scratches against my roughened palms. I stand up wearily with a pair of empty hands.

I watch three other heads pop up from the swimming pool. It's Alex, Chris and Lydia. But where is Katie? I jump into the pool again. But the face is drenched with chlorine and water. I try to search for Katie but I can't see her anywhere. The water burns my eyes to the point where I feel sick.

I jump out of the water and on the surface by the sliding door I see Lydia and Chris with both heads compromised by the muzzles of guns. Alex in his right hand has a glock pointed at Lydia's head. On the left is Chris' head. I think Katie is gone.

"Alex! Where is Katie!!" I bellow as I return to the rough marble surface. My outfit is soggy with chlorine and I wheeze water out of my lungs. I stand up with frail purpose.

"Have you not noticed? She is gone, darling!" Alex laughs with careless intent. I stand on a slant and stare at the man for several seconds.

"So who is gonna die? Lydia or Chris?" Alex pushes the muzzle into Chris' head.

"Neither! You can't make me do this. Someone will help me." I cry.

"We are alone. Miles away from civilization. No one is helping. So it is your choice. And your choice only. Who is going to live and who is going to die?" Lydia stares at me with sorrowful tears.

I say nothing but I stare uselessly at them both.

"Kill me! Please. Don't kill her!" Christopher grunts. Alex makes sure he sits still.

"No kill me!" Lydia sobs. No. I can't. This is a nightmare. It has to be a dream. I pinch my arm to pry myself awake. But it isn't a dream. These are real choices.

"I can't. Give me the gun. I can end this myself." I articulate.

"Killing yourself isn't the option. You have five minutes to make your choice. No more." Alex thuds Lydia's shoulder with the stock of the Glock.

"Fuck off!" Lydia growls.

"I'll kill Skyler. It's not a problem." Alexander threatens violently.

I can't choose any of them. I just can't. My stomach churns with forthcoming guilt. I clutch at my soggy leggings and I look at Alex with despair. I have only three minutes.

"I'm getting bored now!" Alex shouts across the pool. The silk water swashes about as if there was a beat inside waiting for an answer.

"Skyler. Remember. I have never killed anyone." Alex snarls.

That made me think. What if he is right? I mean we walked right through here. This is our fault. My fault to begin with. I'm the killer. If I hadn't taken the job maybe, just maybe no one would've died. The sun has fully set now and there are no stars in the sky. I look back at the mansion. I think about how stupid I am. All of those washing machines were signs. Those were his victims' clothes.

But the worst part is I knew. I just didn't have the guts to face it. All of these deaths are my fault.

"One minute. You have one minute. Before all of us die. Including me. I'd rather not get tossed around like a ragdoll in the madhouse. So hurry up. Before you kill yourself." Alex taunts. I look at Lydia and she nods. Then I nodded at Chris. He nods too. They are both accepting Death. The inferno behind the pair and Alex started to die out in the gentle rain.

"Kill me. Kill me! Not her. Not yourself. Me!" Christopher roars melancholically. You could hear his jaw struggling to cope with the constant crying.

"You were right Christopher. I guess. Alex was and is a Dupek." I try to calm him down. He nods with a slight smile.

"One more word from any of you and I'll broadcast your deaths to the world and family. And I won't be found." Alexander huts Chris in the back of the head.

"Fine. I feel generous today. You have another five minutes to watch your friends suffer in pain because of your arrogance." Alexander grabs a knife and presses it against Christopher's chest.

"Stop!" I shout with full regret.

"Give me an answer then!" Alex continues to put pressure on Chris' chest. Not enough though. He will be okay. But I have to make my choice now. Or Chris will die. We all die.

"Yeah. I choose." I pause and clench my fists.

"Thirty seconds before we all die." Christopher looks at me and nods with gratitude for what life I have given him.

Lydia smiles at me and nods with approval as well.

I make my choice and say it out loud... This would be my Reprisal...

THE END

ALL CHARACTERS ARE FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT RESEMBLANCES OF REAL PEOPLE. NOR ARE THE EVENTS THAT TAKE PLACE.

THANKS FOR READING THIS BOOK. I HOPE YOU HAVE ENJOYED. THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL. FOR NOW...

PRODUCED BY DEANS-C

ADVERTISED BY DEANS-C

ASSISTED HELP BY KIMANI NIGURE

WRITTEN AND CREATED BY DEANS-C

BOOK COVERS ARE MADE BY MYSELF AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE.

RESEMBLANCE TO ANY REAL CHARACTERS AND EVENTS ARE PURELY COINCIDENTAL.