(4)

I woke up and realized I had 10 minutes to get to the mansion for work. I went downstairs and Christian went to sleep on a chair in his office. I rush upstairs, into the restroom and I get dressed in a pleated, long and night-black dress. I tightened my black t-shirt and put on my winter coat. I switch the lights on in Christopher's office and Chris groans in a fatigued voice.

"Skyler, what do you want?" Chris yawned.

"Drive me to work. Here are your keys." I threw the keys at his chest.

He is wearing an office suit, so he must've had some sort of online meeting last night.

"Alright you. Chill your bones." His Polish accent weakened.

To be fair, I like his accent. I have grown fond of it.

"What do you want me to drive for?" Christian asked as we left the café.

The wind was slightly warmer than yesterday. Cars pass by on the road.

"Work. The mansion in the woods." I told him.

I sit in the backseat of his yellow Porsche and a few minutes later we end up at a junction.

"Why have we stopped?" I asked with a strong tone in my voice.

"Traffic."

A car passes by and we continue. We reach the ominous, dark and pessimistic forest, which makes my tanned skin darker. We step out of the car and beside the gate is a keypad.

"Security. Is this where you work, Skyler?" I ignored him and notice a little mic button.

I tap it and I tell Alex to let me in. In response, the gates open slowly. They seem medieval but also edgy if you were to consider the amount of security he has implemented. There is a mix of medieval and modern scattered around the massive yard. On the other side is the mansion.

"I'll get back in the car and head home." He shouted across to me.

The car engine started up and for the second time in my life I laughed at the man when Chris revved his engine to show off and drove away into the dense forest. He's a moronic bloke but refuses to let people go. He wants to help as much as he can. Sometimes Chris makes me wonder whether he does this for his own sake, because no one is as warm-minded as him.

The mansion door opens.

"Skyler. How are you my friend?" Alex welcomed me inside.

The scent of coconut drifts under my nose.

"I'm alright. The bath needs to be cleaned and the bathroom tiles." Alex took me upstairs.

"The chemicals are in the white cabinet beneath the sink. I'll be downstairs." Alex leaves the bathroom and I shut the door.

Everything was painted a hard pink. Apart from the toilet, sink and bath. I kneel and grab the chemicals out of the cabinet. I get paid five hundred per hour and I would normally work fourteen.

This is such an easy job. Maybe too easy. I bleach the toilet and clean the limescale in the creases of the bathroom tiles. I leave the room and to my right and left are several rooms all connected. I stand in the hallway and reach for a door handle that leads to another wide hallway. It has pictures littered on the walls. I notice what they are. There is the same woman from last time I was here, kissing Alex in front of the sunset. This entire house is smaller on the outside but is like The Backrooms on the inside. In case you didn't know, it is infinite. A realm almost. The internet is a weird place.

I think to myself for a while and daydream mindlessly around the rich mansion. Alex's home is so quiet that the only thing you can hear is the air conditioning tenderly whirring above. I could fall asleep standing up. The scents and smells around the house are so delicious and comforting that they make me feel sick, like I have eaten three gateau cakes.