Chapter 11

"Cordelia, is that . . . you?" the gentleman asked, his eyes wide as he beheld the sight of the beautiful young lady before him.

She nodded numbly and it was only a soft, concerned touch to the gentle curve of her back that jarred her from her shock.

Edward's smile almost split his cheeks as he stepped towards her to wrap her in his arms, pulling her into a strong hold that reminded her of the many times he hugged her when she was little. Still in a state of shock, she habitually wrapped her arms around him in return, her eyes wide and lips parted in mute bewilderment before he released her.

"I cannot believe that it is you!" he smiled as he looked at her. "You have grown into such a striking young lady."

"W-what are you doing here?" she asked, trying her best to pull herself towards some level of decorum.

It had been so many years since she had seen her brother, almost a decade. He had changed vastly since, but those eyes of his had never changed. His face brimmed with confidence and the expensive garments he wore signalled that he had become a rather wealthy man.

His features, on the other hand, held a rugged quality to them, no doubt from his many years at sea. But he was still a decidedly handsome man, and the air of self-assurance about him certainly did not hinder his attractive qualities.

"I am the owner of a shipping company. I returned from the Continent a couple of days ago for this occasion, as I am quite good friends with the host and hostess," he stated proudly. "And what of you? Are you keeping well? How did you come to this social circle? Are Mamma and Papa still well? I was hoping to see them after the ball. There was no chance for a visitation beforehand."

His last words reeled her back into reality quickly, and her bewildered expression became one of pain. "You never received my letter?" she asked quietly.

Her sudden sombre mood made Edward's smile falter. "No, I did not. I have not received much correspondence at all these past years. I suppose it was due to all my travels that I was sometimes difficult to locate. What did it say?"

She glanced away, her throat tightening to such an extent she found it difficult to formulate the words. "Edward . . . Mamma and Papa passed away six years ago."

It took a few seconds of stillness before she noticed the colour drain from Edward's face completely, a mixture of pain and disconcertment enveloping his expression. He looked away a moment later, blinking rapidly. "I did not realize . . ." he began at length, confusion furrowing his brow. He turned back to her. "And you? Who has been taking care of you all these years?"

"Aunt Eloise," she replied, glancing in the direction of the Countess, noticing her gaze already looking their way.

His expression eased in surprise, his lips parting mutely. "Aunt Eloise . . . the Countess?"

Cordelia recognised the emotion that began to form on his features, one that created a darkness about the sharp lines of his face. She averted her gaze, her voice becoming very small as she replied, "Yes."

She desperately hoped that he would not question the matter further, and when she realized that the Marquis was still standing silently beside her, she quickly cleared her throat and began to make the necessary introductions. "My apologies for excluding you, Lord Midrake. May I introduce my brother, Edward Sutton? Edward, this is Lord Midrake. He is a . . . old friend of mine."

The gentlemen greeted each other, her brother's eyes flittering between them. "Lord Midrake . . . I believe I know the name, but your face is not familiar. I must have been acquainted with your father."

"It is possible," the Marquis responded cordially. "He did have several matters dealing with ocean trade, particularly with horses."

It was then that the couples surrounding them began their formation for the last dance of the set, and Edward's eyes curved with something akin to embarrassment. "Oh, excuse me. I do apologize for interrupting your dance." He turned to Cordelia. "We shall speak more later. Would it be all right if I call on you throughout the day tomorrow?"