Chapter 28

Time passes quickly, often much faster than anyone ever realizes. At first, Cordelia believed that she would never overcome her heartache and that the pain and despair she was experiencing would never lessen until the day that she died.

She did not even want to contemplate the misery she had endured those first few days, knowing that the man whom she had loved with her whole heart viewed her as nothing more than a lowly servant girl who belonged in a pigsty.

Those self-deprecating thoughts had nearly crippled her, and her unknown illness only made matters worse. She felt as though her life was not worth living if this was to remain her state for all eternity, but once Aunt Eloise spoke to her about her parents and her intentions, something changed within her.

Slowly, she found a peace within herself that she had never felt before. With time it grew into acceptance of who she was, and subsequently her confidence developed to show it proudly. But with her confidence and heightened self-esteem, she began to think differently of many of her past experiences, most of which revolved around the Marquis of Midrake.

She felt disappointed with herself more than with anyone else, for allowing herself to fall so hopelessly for a man whom she had no business loving. And she began to realize her folly in various ways.

Firstly, how naïve she was to have allowed him to woo her in the garden of his home like some unsightly strumpet, whispering words of affection to her starved ears—only then to hide her away when it did not suit him by making her go down servant passageways to remain unseen. She had thought he had done the right thing, as it was improper for an unmarried gentleman and lady to be seen together unaccompanied.

But, in the same breath, it was not as though they were in a room alone. They had not even been in a building but in the garden.

She should have known that he never truly felt for her in the way that he claimed. Even the first time that they had danced at the Foxword's ball, he had practically told her that he had found the woman he wished to marry. It had become blatantly obvious that the lady to whom he was referring was the Duke of Eldenburg's daughter. Though when he had discussed it with his mother in his study at Midrake, he most likely attempted to dismiss the thought in order not to bring too much light to a relationship at such a fragile new growth.

She should have realized that he did not care for her then. His actions spoke of his true intentions all along. She was just too young and naïve, lost in the memories of their childhood to have taken notice of it before.

But no more.

He had made a fool of her once. She will not allow it again.

It was a bright, sun-filled morning in September, and the beauty of Mayfield Manor was shown in all its splendid glory with its abundance of flowers and fruit trees. The lingering scents and twittering birds filled the air, and the distant sound of laughter was heard from the main drawing room of the stately home as the occupants greeted one another.

Cordelia smiled happily as Lady Topham offered her a light kiss on the cheek before enveloping her friend in a tight hug, while Cordelia offered a polite curtsey to Lord Topham.

"Ah, Eloise!" Lady Topham greeted happily. "I must offer you my most joyful congratulations on your engagement to Lord Kentwood! How marvellous and what exciting news to hear in this day and age."

Lady Mayfield smiled at her friend as they took their seats. "I hope that the news did not come as too much of a shock to you?"

The boisterous lady shook her head, a large smile always present on her face. "Oh no, everyone knew it would happen sooner or later. Quite honestly, I do not think anything could have come as more of a surprise to me than to hear of your son's marriage to Lady Alicia. I believe it caused many people to fall off their seats."