Chapter 18

The coldness of the air seemed to increase exponentially as Cordelia stared at her friend's tearful eyes. She blinked, lost on an appropriate response when she finally comprehended her words.

"Betrothed . . ." she murmured.

Lady Alicia looked away and clasped her hands over her rose-tinted lips as she peered at the massive expanse of gardens. "He is not a nobleman, but he is very wealthy," she began in a mournful tone. "Apparently, he fell in love when he saw my portrait in my father's entrance hall and has been adamant to see me ever since. My father has already accepted him and wants me to return immediately so that a date for the wedding can be set. Oh, Cordelia! It is too heinous to contemplate let alone believe to be true!"

"But . . . I thought your father wanted you to marry the Marquis? That was why he wished for you to stay with him?" Cordelia asked, confusion furrowing her brow as she watched her friend begin to pace.

"I thought that, but it was never proven. The Dowager did seem quite determined for us to like each other. But lately, she has been so indifferent towards me. I am certain she wrote to my father a little while ago to say that there is no advancement between her son and myself and that he must find someone who will marry me. Now I am suffering because he has found someone who declares his love for me yet has never even spoken to me!"

"Why did you not tell me this?" Cordelia asked gently, watching the crystal tears fall down her friend's flushed cheeks.

"I only discovered it a few days ago, and I was in too much turmoil to be able to place it into words," Alicia whimpered. "Cordelia, I am so scared. I never wanted this. I wanted to meet my future husband in my way, not in some premeditated, archaic fashion such as this! What did I do to deserve such treatment?"

Without hesitance, Cordelia wrapped her arms around her distraught friend, allowing her to cry on her shoulder. "Do not be so troubled. He may perhaps be a nice man who you will like when you meet him?" she offered encouragingly as she rubbed her hand up and down her back comfortingly.

The young lady shook her head. "No, he will not be. All of my father's acquaintances are miserable men. It is a characteristic that is without fail in all of them."

Cordelia sighed heavily at her words. "I do not know what to say nor how to save you."

"You cannot," she whimpered. "I am growing to accept that. I am just so glad that you are here. I know that you will help keep my mind distracted from my imminent demise."

She wanted to chuckle at her friend's dramatic display but knew it was best not to. Instead, she responded, "I will do my very best. And I am certain I can entreat my brother's help as well."

Alicia tensed against her. "I cannot believe you brought him with you."

Her expression tightened. "Are you very much unhappy about that? He said that he had some business to attend to at the port nearby. Must I ask him to leave?"

"No, he may stay," she muttered glumly in response. "I just do not wish to see him. He irks me too greatly for him to be any valuable company, and I have no strength to deal with his insufferable expressions."

Cordelia smiled. "Very well. I will ensure he does not come near you. But now you must show me those flowers you were speaking of."

* * *

The rest of the estate was just as impressive as the initial impression of the house. Of course, Cordelia always knew that, but she had never had the chance to experience its splendour with her own eyes at such a close range.