Chapter 31

"Remind me again, my dear, why you are planning this?" Lord Kentwood asked as he reclined in the chair closest to the fire early the next morning, not at all fond of seeing the stressed lines upon the Dowager Countess' face as she paced up and down the length of the room.

It was not yet sunrise, but when his valet roused him from sleep telling of the distressed state of Lady Mayfield urgently requesting his presence, he was awake in a moment.

Now they were together in the drawing room, and he watched as she continued to pace restlessly, her mind undoubtedly thinking through every possible situation. "They need to speak to one another but in a manner that does not seem premeditated. But it has to be this morning, for he leaves for Midrake today."

"Well, I cannot think of much we can do to convince him to remain for the day. I noticed Cordelia's behaviour towards him last night. He most definitely is not in her good graces."

"I know, and it is all my fault!" she exclaimed as she threw her hands up in the air in exasperation. "I need to think of a way, but I have no idea what may work."

Knowing how important her niece's happiness was to her, Lord Kentwood twisted his lips in thought before an idea suddenly struck him. "Why not invite him to my shooting party? He shall never suspect that."

Lady Mayfield paused. "Shooting . . . Of course, he will suspect that! Because he is to be invited to Mayfield, and we all know who is currently residing here." She raised a hand to her face and pinched the bridge of her nose between her fingers. "He will refuse to come," she sighed.

The Duke drummed his fingers against the arms of his chair, aiming an encouraging smile towards his love. "You forget that I have a golden tongue, my dear. I will convince him to join us."

Her glance towards him proved that she highly doubted that.

He smiled cheekily then. "If I could convince you to marry me, my stubborn love. I am certain I can convince him to join us for a little shooting party. Make no mistake about that. I shall ensure he is here, whether it be by hook or by crook."

* * *

The sunshine fell across Cordelia's face, causing her to mumble as she turned on her side to escape its rousing rays. She wished to return to her blissful slumber, but the sun was persistent if ever it was, and she eventually sighed and sat up in her bed, running a hand through the messy tangle of curls atop her head.

The morning had just begun to fill her room with its radiant glow, casting away all remnants of the night and dismal thoughts that came with the silence of it. Birds twittered happily outside her window and the quiet trickle of the river just beyond seemed extra bubbly. It felt as though the world was overly joyful this morning like there was not a care to be had.

That alone made her want to draw the covers over her head and go back to sleep.

How dare nature decide to celebrate by mocking her misery? Why did it have to rub her unhappiness in her face by choosing to be the happiest-looking morning of the year?

She only had to look at the previous night's events to realize how her life had become. How pathetic she had become. She had loved the Marquis before she even knew it. She would dare to say that it was when they were still children that she fell in love with him.

But he was not a man she should have loved.

She had thought that she had finally forgotten about him. After so many months, she had wished that she did. But it was impossible to forget a man like the Marquis. And try as she might, she still could not dispel her feelings for him.