Chapter 17

Summer gave way to autumn's demands not long after the horrific accident involving the Dowager Countess of Mayfield, marking the end of the social season as well. The large oak trees' leaves turned into stunning displays of orange, vermillion, and gold with the change as the days started growing cold.

The Countess had regained consciousness the day after her fall, but she could not recall what had transpired that may have caused her horse to bolt. She had run a terrible fever—as the doctor predicted—and it took many days and nights for it to break.

All in all, it had taken a fortnight before anyone dared to breathe a little easier, at ease upon knowing she was now out of the darkest part of the woods. Alicia as well as the Marquis had been Cordelia's main source of companionship those first few days, and it was only once they were certain of her recovery that the saddening news was told that they were to return to Midrake.

Lady Midrake had been anxious to leave London for some time since the end of the season, and Alicia could not set aside her wishes any longer, for wherever her chaperone went, she needed to follow. And since she was a guest in his home, the Marquis needed to be present as well.

Cordelia had watched them leave with a heaviness in her heart. She had grown fond of the young lady, and the days that followed their departure left a deep sense of loneliness within her. Indeed, she still had her aunt, but she was slow with her recovery and often fell asleep midsentence, exhaustion taking its toll on her body.

The fact that Cordelia had not left the house once since the incident also increased her loneliness exponentially. Since her aunt had already cancelled all the engagements following her illness, there was no need to visit anyone, although many people did visit them.

It was a strange problem. She was lonely and yet constantly surrounded by people, and despite their best efforts, their conversations were always stilted. As it was, she did not wish to leave the house, not able to bear the thought of leaving her aunt. Lady Topham had told her on more than one occasion that she was more than happy to accompany her to the last few functions.

But Cordelia truly felt no desire to attend any more, not wanting to risk any further dramatics in her life.

Lord Tilbur had left London not long after the incident occurred, needing to settle some affairs at his estate. She had briefly wondered if the Duke's accusations had irked him to the point of needing to leave town, but she dismissed the idea. It would have been a cowardly thing to do, and as far as she was aware, the Viscount did not appear to be a coward.

But while the Marquis and Lady Alicia had been her companions, the Duke of Kentwood had almost been immovable from his position beside her aunt, ensuring that every one of her needs were met without delay. He had even gone so far as to ensure that she always had a bouquet of fresh flowers beside her bed.

It was one chilly autumn morning when Cordelia was seated in the morning room with her aunt. This was the first time she had been able to move from her bed after almost a month of rest, and she was adamant that she would sit in this particular room for the course of the morning. Lady Topham had come for tea, and her brother had made an appearance as well.

Although there was still a clear indication of tension and strain between them, Cordelia was glad that her brother was at least attempting to get along with their aunt.

Unfortunately, Aunt Eloise was not the smoothest of butter considering the amount of pain she constantly had to endure, and it took a great deal of patience on her brother's side to maintain his composure.

Cordelia had just finished a small piece of iced cake when the butler knocked on the door. On a silver tray, a white envelope with a wax seal was placed. He moved towards her and offered her the letter.