Chapter 21

Cordelia was not certain how she ended up in such a position. What was initially planned as a calm ride to enjoy the outdoors had quickly turned into a battle of masculinity and power. As soon as the Viscount wished to join them, she knew that the Marquis would never let him ride with them alone. 

She was not certain how she knew, but she did.

Now all the ladies were currently standing on the crest of a gentle hilltop, watching as the gentlemen thundered along a trimmed grassy path on their steeds, their horses' coats gleaming in the bright morning sun.

It was clear that it was a duel of sorts between the Viscount and the Marquis, but Edward had decided to join too. As was the case with most men, he could not pass up the offer of a competition. She supposed that his competitive nature was what had made him such a successful businessman in the shipping industry.

Cordelia's horse, a gentle bay, shifted slightly before heaving a low sigh, enjoying the cool breeze as they remained at their post in the shade of an old beech tree. The horses' ears perked forward at the sound of approaching hooves, and the ladies watched as the three stallions galloped along the grassy plain at the foot of the hill.

She could not help but train her eyes on the stallion leading, its dark dapple grey coat slick with sweat and legs rippling with power, as though he was charging into battle. His rider looked equally fearsome, his seat light but commands firm and unhesitant. They moved as one across the meadow, leaving the other two riders far behind.

She had recognized the stallion the moment she saw him, for it was the same one that he had ridden that day in the Park when Leviathan had bolted with her aunt.

"That is a brilliant horse if ever I saw one," Lady Topham admired as she watched the Marquis' horse. "I dare say, he could even match Leviathan."

"That is Stormer," Lady Alicia stated. "He was Lord Midrake's horse when they were in the cavalry. They rode into many battles together. When he became the Marquis, Stormer was one of his first purchases."

"Well, that is not difficult to believe," Lady Topham answered. "I have never seen a horse and rider more in tune with one another than them. It is hardly a wonder why he would have wished to buy him when he left his position."

"Yes, that is a fine horse, much like his master. I can only hope that he will find a wife to match his splendour," the Dowager stated, her riding crop tapping lightly against her skirts.

Cordelia drew her attention to her. She was dressed impeccably as always. Her lips were stained red and her cheeks brightened with a considerable amount of rouge, while her deep violet gown accentuated the pastiness of her skin and dark eyes.

Lady Topham smiled. "I am certain he will find a suitable young lady to do the job credibly."

The Dowager scoffed. "Suitable. She must be phenomenal. A lady whose grace and beauty know no equal. A diamond that shines brighter than all others, with a prestigious education and a long line of blue blood to match. She must be exceptional and nothing less. It is a pity you are betrothed, Alicia. I had high hopes of you two marrying."

Alicia lowered her gaze. "I am sorry to disappoint you, but it is not like I had much of a choice regarding my father's intentions."

The Dowager waved her hand nonchalantly. "No matter. I am certain the wait will not be long now."

"Does he have a bride in mind, then?" Lady Topham queried, causing Cordelia to tense at the question.

"Not at the moment," the Dowager replied, her eyes hard as she stared off into the distance.