three.

-☆-

-☆-

CHAPTER THREE: What's up with Cassie?

WINTER break was over and everyone had been back to classes for the past couple weeks, and Evan had noticed Cassie had been acting weird. She'd been showing up everyday dressed really elaborately, like a full-face of makeup and amazing outfit each day. Evan always thought Cassie looked beautiful, but the effort she was putting in didn't go unnoticed. There was that especially weird day when she came in almost exactly the same outfit that Maddy was wearing. Lexi had also told Evan during a casual conversation that Cassie had been waking up at 4 am to get ready each morning before classes. And Evan knew her girlfriend loved to sleep.

She was worried that Cassie was feeling insecure and felt the need to spend hours on how she looked for the day. The shorter blonde had still dressed in her typical comfy clothes when she spent the weekend with Evan, her face make up free. So it wasn't because she felt the need to impress her girlfriend - maybe someone at the college had said something? Evan knew of Cassie's insecurities, with what happened with McKay and her dad, so she always tried to remind her that she was perfect the way she was and that it shouldn't matter what others think. However, when Evan brought up her concerns, it just prompted a fight and caused Evan to drop it. If Cassie wanted to talk to Evan about something bothering her, she would tell her, right?

Evan walked out of the pink toilet stall and headed toward the sinks, where she saw Rue and Lexi talking.

"Hey guys," Evan greeted, washing her hands and smiling at the two.

"Hi," they greeted back simultaneously. But before she could say anything else, her girlfriend walks in - dressed in a blue...farmer-style look? Evan stared at Cassie's reflection in the mirror, confusion painted on her face.

"Hey Ev, hey Rue-Rue," Cassie said, putting her books down by the sink and checking herself out in the mirror, not aware of the three sets of eyes looking at her, bewildered.

"Oh, are you in the play?" Rue asked Cassie, who's face suddenly dropped.

"What play?" Cassie questioned.

"Lexi's play," Rue said, pointing to the younger Howard who stood behind her.

"What do you mean, 'Lexi's play?'"

"The play that Lexi wrote...?" All three looked at Lexi.

"O-Oklahoma," Lexi answered, moving toward the paper towel dispenser.

"Your play's called 'Oklahoma'?" Rue said, face full of disgust.

"No, the drama club is doing Oklahoma," Lexi clarified.