five.

-☆-

-☆-

CHAPTER FIVE: Rue, when was this?

(TW: this chapter features Rue's intervention and therefore will be talking a bit about drugs and drug addiction).

East Highland future MILF's club

lex
guys

come over, we're having an
intervention for rue

-☆-

EVAN read over the text Lexi had put into the group chat one last time as she made her way up the Howard's driveway. She knew that Rue had been struggling again, but wasn't quite aware just how bad it had gotten.

Making her way into the house, she saw everyone staring at a sickly looking Rue that sat on the stairs, with her mother standing halfway up them. Evan felt like such a shitty friend, she should've tried to help more. Not let it get to this. Maddy gave her a brief smile in greeting, before they turned their attention to who needed it the most at the moment: Rue.

"This can't make you feel good Rue, living like this..." Rue's mom expressed, voice full of pain and worry. "Lying to the people you love, being mean to the people you love. This can't make you feel good about yourself."

"I don't care," Rue rasped, clutching her stomach with clammy hands. "Just...fucking leave me alone, please."

"I know you're in pain," her mom tried to reason.

"You have no fucking idea, mom," Rue replied, running a hand over her face.

Evan put her hands in her pockets, unsure of what to say. From the looks of everyone else, they were feeling the same way. They'd never had an intervention before, nor seen their friend this bad, either.

"Lets just get you into the car and take you to the hospital," her mom suggested, but Rue shook her head.

"I can't...I can't get clean, I can't do that shit forever..." Rue agonized, leaning back against the wall behind her.

"You don't have to," Cassie said, causing the group to all look at her from her place near the stairs. "Just, take it one day at a time."

Evan knew that was something they often said in AA meetings, Suze had told her enough stories.

Cassie looked to the group for approval, earning several nods. Evan just gave her a soft smile, unsure if that was the right thing to say to someone in Rue's head space at the moment.

"Hey Cass?" Rue asked, voice breathy.

"Yeah?" Cassie responded, smiling at Rue.

"I have a quick question for you..."