six.

-☆-

-☆-

CHAPTER SIX: Cassie's gone crazy

lex

lex
look, i wouldn't ask if
it wasn't a last resort

ev
hell no

lex
please ev, cassie's
gone crazy

-☆-

A couple days had past and despite Cassie's dozens of calls and texts, Evan hadn't spoken to or seen her since everything went down. She didn't want to. And she knew that Lexi wouldn't have asked her unless she really needed it - she was pissed at her sister too for what she did.

So, after half an hour of pacing around her dorm room and sitting in her car for ten minutes outside the house, Evan found herself at the Howard residence once again.

"Oh, thank god you're here," Lexi exasperated, dragging Evan by the arm toward the kitchen. There sat Cassie, her knees pulled to her chest and her face red raw from crying. "Please- just shut her up."

Lexi left the room and Evan leant against the wall, looking at her ex-girlfriend who refused to make eye contact with her. It was silent for a while.

"Why'd you do it?" Evan asked, quietly. Cassie looked up at her and her lip quivered.

"I don't know," she whined, putting her head in her hands.

"That's not a answer, Cassie," Evan replied, and sat next to her on the floor. She tapped at her ex-girlfriends arm, making her look up from her hands.

"Why did you do it?" Evan tried again, looking at Cassie expectantly.

"Just...I don't..." Cassie muttered, as she moved her gaze to her lap. "After everything that happened with McKay and my own issues, I guess I felt...I don't know, undeserving of you? You were so, so loving and it freaked me out a bit. I wasn't used to someone genuinely caring about me."

"So you sabotaged our relationship," Evan guessed.

"Yep," Cassie confirmed, wiping at new tears that had started to fall down her cheeks. "Then I started to really like Nate because, like...I know he's not a good person, but I feel like thats what I deserve. I'm not a good person either."

"That doesn't excuse what you did."

Another silence fell over the two, the only noise being Cassie's sniffles. They sat there for several moments, unsure of what to say. What was there? Eventually, Evan cleared her throat and stood up, moving toward the door.

"Just...please get some self respect before you date someone else, ok? Learn to love yourself first," Evan said, looking to her ex-girlfriend one last time. She really hoped Cassie would take her advice. She didn't even know if her and Nate were still seeing each other - what was their situation in the first place? He wasn't good. He ruined Maddy. But what Cassie does isn't Evan's problem anymore, so why should she care?

Moving toward the front door, Evan saw Lexi and her mom sat on the couch, clearing hoping that she had stopped Cassie's craziness.

"She's still crying, but seems to have calmed down," Evan informed the two, who let out a simultaneous sigh of relief.

"Thanks, Ev," Lexi said, smiling slightly at the blonde girl.

"Appreciate it, kid," Suze thanked, holding her wine glass up to her.

She wondered when she'd see them again. It was all so different now.

Evan gave them a small smile and left the house.

-☆-

"She's a bitch," said Maddy from her place on the couch.

"You think everyone's a bitch," noted Evan, taking a sip of her soda and sitting back down next to the dark haired girl.

"Yeah, but she's the biggest of them all," Maddy replied, bitterly.

After the whole Cassie situation, Evan drove to Maddy's house and the two spent the afternoon watching reality TV and chatting shit about the shorter blonde (or 'Shrek's fugly twin sister' as Maddy had called her earlier...). It was the first time that Evan felt kind of happy in a while. Just spending time with Maddy.

"Hey, you know what Samantha said to me last night?" Maddy asked, prompting Evan to shake her head no. Samantha was the mother of Theo, whom Maddy babysat. "Well, I asked for some advice on the whole 'best friend fucked my ex' thing."

"As one does," Evan joked, making Maddy smile.

"And we got to talking about you-"

"Me?" Evan asked, confused. Maddy talks about her? Why did that make her heart feel all fluttery...?

"Yeah, you," Maddy teased with a slight laugh. "She said I should just date you instead."

Huh?

"She did?" Evan questioned, feeling her face warm up slightly as she thought what that would be like. Maddy was beautiful - everyone knew that. She was also sweet, passionate, protective, and funny as hell. Anyone who got the chance to date her would be lucky. But Evan? She just got out of a pretty weird relationship and she was about 99.9% sure that Maddy just saw her as a friend. She really hated her brain sometimes. Its like it had a mind of its own. Why is she thinking about Maddy like that, thats crazy, thats-

"You ok?" Maddy's voice brought Evan back to reality. "You kind of spaced out there."

"Yeah, sorry...you were saying?" Evan answered, trying to redirect the conversation and avoid any questions.

"Can you believe she said that? She was then saying all about how she got with one of her friend's ex's too-" Maddy continued on, going on a long tangent about her conversation with Samantha. Evan was happy to listen - Maddy always got really animated when she was talking about something that had happened to her. Whether that be a piece of gossip that she had overheard in the restroom, to how she's thinking of reorganizing her makeup on her vanity. She was passionate, in all aspects of her life. And Evan couldn't get enough of it.

-☆-

a/n: sorry its a short chapter - hope you enjoy useless lesbian evan rhodes subconsciously crushing on maddy <3.