Chapter 22

"If you hadn't leaked the documents, why would Count Riegelhoff have chosen to buy only the items listed in them? I was afraid of this, and that's why I had you touch the fake documents!"

In other words, they didn't trust me, so they made me organize the fake documents, and I fell right into their trap and leaked them to Count Riegelhoff.

Once again, I was dumbfounded.

I did not leak the documents.

I had even replied to the Count's letter telling him to stop.

"I never leaked these documents."

"Haha! You're so brave, so how do you think this happened? How did the documents that only you could see get into the hands of Count Riegelhoff?"

"They were not documents that only I could see, Your Excellency."

"What?"

A knot formed in my stomach.

I felt like I was going to flounder in front of them, just like the original Edith had done.

But...... but what else could I do but plead my case?

"As Your Excellency said, the Duchess and Miss Lizé have seen these documents, and there must be others who made them."

"They are all members of my family."

"So am I. My name on the paper is no longer Edith Riegelhoff, and it was you, Your Excellency, who put your seal on the paper as a witness for the groom."

"Are you trying to play words with me?"

"What is Miss Lizé's name? Lizé Ludwig?"

My provocative question seemed to freeze the air in the office.

"Are you...... trying to pin the blame on Lizé?"

"Who saw that I leaked the documents? Count Riegelhoff knew the contents of the documents I was looking at, and this fact alone makes me the culprit?"

I felt on the verge of tears.

These people were treating me like a fool. Or maybe an idiot spy?

"I repeat, the Duchess knows I organized those documents, Miss Lizé knows it, and I know that if something like this were to happen, I would be the first to be suspected, wouldn't I?"

For the first time, the Duke's mouth fell shut.

Yes, he thought I was a fool whom he should not care about.

"If you didn't trust me in the slightest, you shouldn't have entrusted me with such a job!"

And yet, I know why they gave me the job.

"You deliberately did that...... in the hope that you would get evidence that I had leaked the documents so that you could put pressure on Count Riegelhoff, didn't you?"

That's actually what happened in the original story.

Edith, unaware that the document was fake, took inside information from the Ludwigs and sent it to her father, and for that, Edith is put on probation.

Of course, since it was fake, the Ludwigs didn't suffer any consequences, and the Riegelhoffs ended up with a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

But I didn't do that.

How on earth had the document reached the Riegelhofs?

I mentioned Lizé's name in anger, but there was no reason for her to do such a thing.

'After all, I can't go against the flow of the original story, can I?'

I felt my uneasy conjecture hardening.