Chapter 133

'Well, Cliff, Lizé, the Duke and Duchess can live on their own just fine. From now on, all I care about is my own happiness.'

While I was just thinking about such things, Killian misunderstood my expression as I looked around the wedding hall and said something scary.

"If...... you ever want to have another wedding......"

"Are you crazy?"

"......there's nothing crazy about it."

"I'm sorry for the harsh words, but I really had a hard time getting through our wedding. Can you imagine trying to get through a day in high heels, wearing a dress that shows your boobs if you bend over the slightest bit?"

I break out in a cold sweat just saying the words.

"I thought...... you liked dressing like that back then."

"I told you, everything I've ever done to deserve criticism was ordered by 'he whose name I refuse to mention'. I thought I was going to snap my spine on our wedding day."

At the annoyed tone in my voice, Killian began to giggle.

Just then, the guests began to trickle in, and Killian and I stood at the entrance with the Duke and Duchess to greet them.

"My goodness, Miss Edith, no, you're the Countess of Ryzen now, aren't you? I'm late, but I've heard you've been through a lot."

An older, unfamiliar woman clasped both my hands in comfort.

The rumors about Leila weren't the only ones that had been circulating in society.

The story that I had fallen out of favor in the family while trying to stop Count Riegelhoff's treasonous plot, and that I had suffered ill treatment for it, had won the sympathy of many.

"Thank you for your concern, madam. I'm fine now, thanks to the good care of Killian and my in-laws. I hope you have a good time today."

I smiled brightly and let her into the wedding hall.

I wasn't sure how many more times I'd have to do this greeting, but it was my duty, so I'd do my best until my facial muscles went paralyzed.

'Still, I don't think there would have been such an amicable atmosphere before, is it because the original flow has been gone......?'

It hadn't been rumored that I was the illegitimate child of Count Riegelhoff's sister.

It was said that at the execution, Sophia screamed her last revenge and revealed the secret of my birth, but it wasn't much of a shock, as there were many illegitimate children like me in other families, and they were often adopted by already married brothers.

Still, the fact that I was a part of the Riegelhoff family was not forgotten, but people unexpectedly saw me as a victim.

'So, the flow of the story had been treating me badly all this time.'

Once again, I felt a sense of relief that I'd won the game with the author, but also a sense of defeat.

"Edith?"

"......ah, I'm sorry, did you call me?"

"Just in case you're not feeling well......"

"No, I'm fine."

I smiled wholeheartedly at Killian, who looked at me worriedly.

Now I have Killian by my side.

I'm able to shake off the slightest sense of helplessness just by having the person I love by my side.