Chapter 7 - Naamkaran: Naam Ki Taakat

Avni kept thinking about what could be the gift for the entire day, but she could not guess, and at last, gave up. At night, when she and Mogli were having dinner, she asked Mogli about where he had gone away in the morning. He said he had just gone to play in the garden area downstairs, where he saw Neil and came back with him. He successfully hid the conversation that he had with Neil from Avni.

At about 11:30 at night, Mogli had already slept, and Avni was preparing to sleep when she received a WhatsApp message, from the trend of yesterday night, she somehow knew who it was. So, she rushed to check the message.

"Yaad hai na? Kal ke baare mein? Taiyaar rahana 11:30 baje"

She was thinking about what to reply when she received another text.

"Tum aur Mogli dono naha dhoke saaf kapre pahankar taiyar rahana"

"Kyun?"

"Ghar ne puja hai islie"

"Kaunsa puja?"

"Wo khud hi dekh lena"

And he straightaway went offline.

This was enough to raise Avni's suspicion, but she did not think about it much and kind of ignored it.

The Next Morning

Avni woke up early, completed cleaning the house, went to take a bath, and then Mogli took a bath. She was just thinking about what to wear when she remembered her conversation with Neela Ma:

"Maa, ye har function me aap mujhe saaree aur lahanga kyun pahanate ho? Kitna ajeeb lagta hai, bilkul confortable nahi hoti main. Isse accha kya ye nahi hota, ki main apna new jeans pahan leti?"

"Avni, apne culture and traditions ka respect karna seekho. Tumhe abhi ahasaas nahi hai, but ek Indian ki asli qadr sirf ethnics hi kar sakte hain. Western regular wear ke lie theek hai. But special days ke lie nahi"

So, Avni decided to wear a saree today. She had not worn one in the last ten years. But she had a wish to wear it today. So she wore this 👇

(pic credit - Amisha Gajjar @amisha_gajjar twitter or X)

Yes, it is the same saree that she wore to go out with Neil 10 years ago 😋

So, when Neil came to pick them up, he was half shocked and half crazy to see her in it. He was shocked because he had not expected her to wear it in the first place. He was crazy because all the vivid memories that he had with her came right in front of his eyes.

Avni noticed it and asked him

A - "What 🤨?"

N - "No.. Nothing... What What? Tum.. Tum ek kaam karo tum gaadi me baitho.."