Chapter 8 - Who Is Dr. Mehra?

Neil had started driving the car, and Avni was sitting beside him. Mogli was in her lap.

The drive was silent, but the silence was not awkward. Both were smiling on their own, but none of them could decide what to say.

Suddenly, Neil's phone started ringing, piercing the silence.

Avni heard Neil saying in a low voice "Isse bhi abhi call karna tha"

Avni peeped into the screen and saw the the name, Dr. Mehra.

But Neil hid it from her as fast as he could. It was clear that Neil did not want Avni to know about it.

There was one habit of Neil that always annoyed Avni. He always kept the call volume of his phone so high that the entire room used to hear the conversation even when the speaker was off. But today, Avni was thankful to this habit of his, because of which she could clearly listen to the entire conversation.

N - "Hello Dr. Uncle kaise hain aap?"

(Avni noticed how he called him uncle. But she could not remember any Dr. Mehra whom they knew before)

Dr - "Hello Neil my boy kaise ho tum? And kaha ho tum? Teen maheene pahale last checkup ke lie aye the, tab bolke gaye the Kashid jaa raha hun, do teen hafte me laut aunga. Par teen maheene ho gaye, tabse gayab ho tum. Mere messages ka reply bhi nahi dete aajkal. Tumhe pata hai kitni fikr ho rahi thi mujhe tumhari?"

N - "Sorry uncle, actually main thora busy tha, to mind se nikal gaya tha. But aap fikr mat kijie, main bilkul theek hun, infact abhi aur bhi better feel kar raha hun. And main Mumbai me hi hun, bohot jaldi aapse milunga."

Dr. - "Bohot jaldi nahi, aaj hi, abhi ao tum checkup ke lie. Mujhe tumhari progress report department ko bhejni hai. Pichle teen maheene se pending hai. So, main aur kuch nahi sunna chahata."

N - "Abhi?"

Dr. - "Haan, abhi!"

N - "Uncle, abhi to main nahi aa sakta"

Dr. - "Kyun? Kya kar rahe ho tum?"

N - "Uncle, aaj ghar me ek bohot important kaam hai"

Dr. - "Tumhare health se jyada important kya hai?"

N - "Uncle, please aaj nahi. Main kal pakka aunga."

Dr. - "Theek hai. But this is the last warning. Agar kal nahi aye to main tumhare ghar jaunga."

N - "Are nahi nahi main aunga kal pakka. Okay. Bye".

Avni couldn't comprehend much about the discussion, the only thing she could understand was that Neil was not well, and he was not well for a long time. Just in the heat of the moment, she started scrutinizing Neil from top to bottom. But to her surprise, she couldn't find any abnormality. Now she panicked, as a dangerous thought crossed her mind. Is he suffering from cancer? No, no this can't happen. She started blabbering in her mind, which didn't go unnoticed from Neil.

N - "What happened?"

A - "Haan?"

N - "You were saying something!"

A - "Ohh.. Nno... No nothing serious"

A - "Neil"

N - "Hmmm"

A - "Are you okay?"

N - "🤨🤨🤨 Are you okay?"

A - "I asked you first"

N - "Yes I am okay, but you are behaving strange"

Avni did not continue the argument as they were nearing their destination. But in her mind, she determined to investigate this matter and find out what happened to Neil, and who is Dr. Mehra.