Chapter 39

Astelle finished washing Theor and escorted him to his bedroom before returning to her grandfather's room.

"Why did you say odd things to His Majesty?" she asked, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

Sitting near the window with a cup of tea, the Marquis responded casually, "Let him misunderstand. He already thinks I'm an arrogant old man."

Ignoring his granddaughter's reprimands, he leisurely sipped his tea.

He made excuses upon seeing Astelle's angry expression.

"Wouldn't it be better for him to misunderstand like that? It might seem more natural if he believes I dismissed the child's mother because of her status," he reasoned, attempting to justify his actions.

In some ways, the Marquis' perspective wasn't entirely wrong. If he appeared as a benevolent figure, unbound by societal status, it might make it easier to explain Theor's birth story. But explaining the sequence of events, starting with the mother's departure immediately after the child's birth, was a complicated task.

Astelle let out a sigh and took a seat across from her grandfather.

"I'm sorry. Because of me, you received such misunderstandings," Astelle expressed her regret.

Astelle had always felt a deep sense of remorse towards her grandfather. Since discovering her pregnancy for the first time, he had continuously supported her.

Now, he was suffering due to the repercussions of Astelle's actions. She couldn't help but feel apologetic. Moreover, her grandfather had become her ally in this situation and was bearing the risks alongside her.

"If it's to protect you and Theor, I don't mind being misunderstood." The Marquis gazed out at the tranquil garden bathed in afternoon sunlight, where vibrant flower petals displayed their colors.

"I had only two children, but all of them are dead. My grandson Sigmund is also dead, so now it is only you and Theor," he said quietly, his thoughts drifting to the past.

Astelle listened in silence before asking, "How about my brother, Fritz?"

"He's not even contacting me. What a brat..." The Marquis recounted how, when he was framed and expelled, the Duke of Reston swiftly severed ties, claiming his wife's death and breaking connections.

This severed the relationship, turning the two into adversaries, limiting the visits Astelle and her brother could make to their maternal grandfather.

Despite the circumstances, Astelle continued to correspond with her grandfather, while her older brother, Fritz, obeyed their father's directive and cut off contact.

It had been quite a while since they last met. The siblings shared a strong bond, being each other's only companions.

Fritz was a diligent and capable man, known for his earnestness and dedication. From a young age, he immersed himself in his studies, working tirelessly as he matured. Six years ago, when Astelle left the capital after her divorce, Fritz confronted her at the mansion's entrance, urging her to seek forgiveness from their father.

"Where are you going? Don't make any mistakes and ask forgiveness from Father."

It was a moment that shattered Astelle's hopes for her brother's understanding and support. The affection between them seemed to fade away, leaving only reproach from her brother, without a word of consolation for his sister who had returned home after a failed marriage. Since then, they hadn't seen each other for six years.

She knew Fritz had also resigned from the Knights of Templar when their father's situation deteriorated, but information about his current circumstances remained elusive.