Chapter 1 Just another day

It was just like any other day I walk home and go see my neighbor Luke who I think is around 40 years old but he won't tell me, anyway we go to the park and play soccer then I go to Luke's house until my mom gets home from working at the hospital as a nurse, my dad left us when I was a baby so it's just me and my Mom but she goes by Annie. I walk up to my apartment door and unlock it with my key I go to my room set my bag down and then go back outside and lock the front door then I start heading to Luke's house I knock on the door, Luke opens it, "Hey Maddie" he says "Hi Luke" I respond "Are you ready to go" He asks "Yep!" I say enthusiastically. Luke walks out of his apartment and locks the door and we walk out of the complex towards the park.

We get to the park and start kicking the ball back and forth. He asks me, "How was school today?" I kick the ball back to him and say "Same old same old, just one test today though thank goodness but I still have quite a bit of homework that I have to do so I'm not totally off the hook" I say jokingly, Luke chuckles and says "That's good for the most part but you forgot to tell me something didn't you?" he says the last part sternly, I just stare at him with a blank face I don't know what I forgot to tell him, he must've noticed I didn't realize what he was referring to because he started walking towards me with a worried expression on his face, he asks, "Maddie be honest with me why do you have scratches on you hand?" he says as he looks at my right hand gently running his thumb over the scars on my hand, I sigh "I got into another fight at school today that's all it was just a small one though and besides it's just a couple scratches Luke" I say trying to explain myself because It was just a minor fight. Luke lets go of my hand and runs his hands through his hair and says, "Maddie what did I tell you about getting into fights, they do no good to you or anyone don-" I cut him off, "Don't make the same mistake you did I know Luke." I tell him but of course he has a response, "THEN WHY DO YOU KEEP GETTING HURT!" He yells, I just stand there because I usually have a response for everything but this...No I hate being yelled at but I know today I kinda deserved it because Luke has told me to stop getting into fights plenty of times before and I try to listen but then those kids at school just get on my nerves so bad and I just-, Luke starting to talk ripped me out of the trance I was in, "Look Maddie I'm sorry for yelling at you but you got to learn to stop getting into fights and I know the kids and school can really get on your nerves and I get that but you need to learn to control your anger and I know it's difficult but believe me it works okay, and I know you think me telling you all of this is annoying because I tell you every day but the day you actually do what I'm suggesting is the day that I stop reminding you okay?" He says calming down, "Okay" I say in response he smiles "It's 4:35 we should get going back to the complex now so you can get your homework done" He states as he puts the soccer ball under his right arm and wraps his left around my shoulders and says "how bout we put a bandaid on your hand and I won't tell your mom about it" He says making me chuckle "Sure why not" I say smiling, this causes him to look at me smiling "There's that smile!" He says, making me laugh even more.

We get back inside the complex and start walking to Luke's apartment and he unlocks the door and we walk in he says, "Are you hungry?, I got some chips 'n like some canned soup if you want any" I look at him and say, "I'm not hungry right now Luke but thank you, I'm just gonna go get my bag so i can do my homework" I tell him, "You're welcome, and sure you go get your bag I'm gonna make myself some soup though so suit yourself" He says jokingly, I nod and head out the door to my apartment when I get inside to grab my stuff I get a phone call from my Mom I answer "Hey Mom" I say "oh thank goodness you picked up honey I got worried" she tells me "Mom I'm fine, me and Luke just got back from playing soccer at the park like we always do I'm just getting my stuff from our house so I can do my homework done that's all" I inform her "Okay honey you get your stuff then go back to Luke's I wanna talk to him" she says "Mom leave Luke alone we've known him since I was like 4 that's 10 years Mom chill" I tell her chuckling as i start to walk back to Luke's apartment "Maddie I know how long we've known Luke believe me, but you know me I can never be too cautious please just let me talk to him I have something very important to tell him" she states "Okay Mom just give me a second" I say as i walk back into Luke's "Who are ya talk'n to Madds" he asks "Just Mom, oh wait here she wants to talk to you" I say as I hand him the phone and I sit down at the table to start my homework. "Hey Annie how are ya" Luke asks "Hi Luke I'm good I just wanted to tell you that they have me working the late shift again tonight and I was wondering if Mad-'' Luke cuts her off "Yes Annie, Maddie can stay the night" He says "Thank you Luke I really do appreciate everything you've done for my family over all these years I really do" Mom says "Annie Don't worry about it besides I love having Maddie over so it's really not a problem and it never will be you know I love and care about you and Maddie like family" He states "Thank you so much Luke you don't know how much you've helped us out over the years really" She says with a grateful voice "Your welcome Annie, and don't mention it" He says calmly "Bless your heart Luke, oh I'm sorry they need me in room 101 someone just got out of surgery I'll talk to you later Luke and thank you again!" she says quickly yet still grateful and hangs up Luke walks over to me and hands me my phone back "Your Mom is working the late shift again Maddie so you'll have to stay here for the night" He tells me "I figured seeing how long that phone conversation went on for'' I say somewhat sarcastically, Luke crouches down to my level seeing as I'm sitting down in a chair "oh shut up" he says chuckling as he stands up ruffles my hair and walks back towards the kitchen to check on his soup "Oh and watch that tone young lady" He tells me with the same amount of sarcasm as I did earlier.