Chapter Five: A Reward

Luna and her family started walking to Eden, all anxious. "My bracelet just broke," Yor said, holding her now broken bracelet.

"I'm sure it's just a coincidence," Loid reassured.

"Loid... look," Yor pointed down the way to see a black cat.

"I know what the rumors say, but black cats are actually total sweethearts and are not at all bad luck," Luna huffed.

Then, "Papa..." Anya whined.

Everyone turned and saw that she was now standing in dog poo. Everyone laughed it off as best they could, all internally panicking. They finally made it to Eden and saw that the acceptances were posted. The girls rushed to the board and started searching for their numbers. "J-128... J-128..." Luna muttered to herself as she skimmed the board.

Then Luna's heart sank as she didn't see it. "It's not there..." Luna whispered.

Everyone sank slightly, but then Yor perked up. "Wait, Luna that's the wrong list. The transfer list is over there!" Yor pointed out hopefully.

Luna sped over there and looked over the much shorter list carefully. Luna's eyes widened before she turned toward her family, all of them with hopeful expressions. "I got in!" Luna exclaimed.

Everyone cheered, Yor coming up and hugging Luna tightly. Luna's heart blossomed with pride and happiness, but when she and Yor left the hug, they saw Loid and Anya looking at the board sadly. "Did... Anya not..." Luna started, and Loid nodded sadly.

"I'm sorry I stepped in poo today..." Anya apologized, thinking that that caused her to not make it in. 

Then, "A moment, Forgers."

Everyone turned to see the thin man, Master Henderson, standing under a tree. He then guided the Forgers to a building and held out a sheet of paper that contained a list of names. Anya was at the top of that list. "This is the waitlist for successful applicants," Henderson stated.

"A waiting list?" Loid asked.

"Correct. Once her overall scores were tallied, Anya Forger was placed first on the waiting list. If any of the current successful applicants were to withdraw, she'll immediately get into the school," Henderson explained.

"But after what we did..." Loid said.

"Do you know what the number one killer on this planet is?" Henderson asked, "The mosquito. Yes, you saved Master Swan from that brutal attack there! That brought both of your scores up tremendously."

"That's insane..." Loid breathed.

"Stand proud Forgers, your whole family is worthy of this school," Henderson said sincerely.

Luna smiled as Yor asked, "So if even one person withdraws, Anya will get in?"

"It's no matter, there are a few that withdraw every year for one reason or another. Make sure you are properly prepared for that eventuality," Henderson advised.

"Thank you, Master Henderson," Loid said.

"I must warn you that I may not be teaching here when you arrive," Henderson stated, "I was forced to give that swine a good thrashing. I defended Eden's honor, but who knows what ramifications await me?"

"Excuse me sir, but why was I fully accepted and not Anya?" Luna asked.

Henderson glanced at the young woman and said, "You were arguably the most intelligent and elegant transfer applicant, especially when considering your origins. So hold yourself with pride, young lady. You earned your spot."

.

.

.

The Forgers were waiting in their apartment, all anxiously hovering around the phone. After a while, the phone started to ring and Loid answered it immediately. After listening for a moment, Loid hung up and turned to the girls. "Anya was accepted!" he said happily while popping a party popper.