fourteen

Levi

"This is Rory."

Wells introduces me to the woman on his left, his arm curled around her waist. She's got a bright smile and instantly radiates happiness. I don't know how some people are just so happy... all of the time.

"Nice to meet you." I extend my hand, and she places her own in it.

"You as well! Wells has told me so much about you! You are like his favorite person, I mean well besides me!" She teases my friend who's got an infatuated look on his face. It makes me sick.

They continue to stare at each other to the point I feel as though I'm interrupting so I excuse myself and head into my kitchen. We had a day off today, one I thought would be filled with rest, a workout and maybe just maybe,  a night with Hayden.

But instead it's been full of Wellesley King from the moment I woke up. It started with banging on my front door, then proceeded with two large bags of breakfast takeout being set on my kitchen island that solidified my plans.

He was lucky I somewhat liked him.

"Why don't you invite Hayden over?" Wells steps up next to me where I'm pouring myself a glass of bourbon. Instead of answering him I pour him a glass as well and shoot him a cut it out look. He knows Hayden and I are just fuck buddies, yet he makes it his goal to tease me about the girl every chance he gets.

"Don't look at me like that man! Could be nice, you know. Just a casual hangout thing."

I almost laugh. "Nice try."

Rory stands awkwardly still in the hallway when we approach, but as soon as she see's Wells, awkwardness forgotten.

She's a pretty girl, with long brown hair and big brown eyes. Wells told me her father was born in South Korea, her mother Los Angeles. She lives in Boston while studying at Boston University but goes home to LA on holidays. He's told me more about her than any of his prior relationships, my guess is he hopes this one lasts.

And for his own sake, I do as well.

"Want to grab some food?" Wells asks, following me into my living room.

I sit back on the couch. "I'm good, man. You have fun." And please let me have a moment alone tonight.

"Alright, I guess I'll stop bugging your grumpy ass. Let me know if you want us to bring anything back." I nod.

"It was nice to meet you, Rory. Good-luck with this one." I address the girl who's still smiling. I don't think she ever stops.

"Oh, you as well, Levi! And I'll keep an eye on him for you."

When the door closes behind them, I finally relax. You'd think after years of being his friend I'd be accustomed to his extroverted personality in my space, but I still felt drained every time. There's a part of me that wishes I didn't. That I could have that ever so chill relationship with him like I know he has with the other guys on the team. But I can't change who I am, how I feel.

My glass of bourbon falls empty, and my thoughts go elsewhere. To someone who can help me off the shitty self-pity bend and make me feel great in the process. My phone is in my hand before I think too much about it.

"Hello?"

Hayden's voice is breathy, car's honking in the background.

"Hi. Are you out right now?" I take a quick look at the time, it's not late but not early. Maybe she's getting dinner.

"Just about to head home actually. I was out shopping. Why, what's up?"

"Want to come over?" There's silence, and then she answers.