𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐤𝐞𝐲

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

( confidence is key )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Ares sat on the metal bench outside of the evaluation training room exuding nothing but an air of nonchalance. It was as though he was simply lounging on one of the plush cloud couches back up in the district apartment. His ankles were casually crossed as he leaned back, his palms gripping the edge of the metal callously. His gaze was fixed on the imposing, thick doors in front. Beside him, Pandora was in almost the opposite state of mind. Her hands were clasped tightly in her lap and her knee bounced intermittently as if she couldn't control the tremours of nervous energy coursing through her body like electricity to a wire.

What they'd been instructed to do by Callum in front of the Gamemakers was drastically different from one another, and they each held distinct fears going into the training room. For Ares, he'd been advised to score just above average. A calculated strategy to show all of the tributes afterwards that he wasn't someone to be pushed around, but not someone to be looking out for either. For Pandora, the goal was to do her very best to get as high of a score as possible. With a lack of confidence and hands that trembled under nerves, nobody was sure how she'd fare. The weapons she'd tried for the past two days were still a struggle. She was okay, but she'd need more time to become anywhere near good.

Secretly, Ares wasn't so sure how he'd also fare considering he hadn't practiced with an actual sword for more than an hour. But confidence is key, and he'd fake it till he made it.

Velvet had told him as much as well before she'd waved them off at the elevator. Uncharacteristically soft, she'd patted his cheek as farewell. "Confidence is key," she'd told him, her slender hands coming up to smooth his hair down and ignoring Quiver's annoyed scoff at the side as she did so—he'd just styled it. "I've seen even the strongest and most self-assured tributes falter because another was more certain of victory. You already told me you will win, so believe in it until your very last breath. And remember, the Games are more than just physical; manipulate their minds."

Ares had gotten into the elevator with a solemn nod and had taken her words to heart as he took a seat along with the other tributes who were in varied states of mind. Most of them had regressed into their reaping reactions, with some crying and others waiting with impatience.

They watched the districts before them get summoned before Pandora's name was eventually called.

Ladies first.

Ares gave her a subtle pat on the knee as she shakily readied herself.

After fifteen minutes—which he'd counted every passing second of despite there being a clock—the robotic voice from earlier cackled back to life on the speaker.