𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

( poison my convictions )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A gulp of water was both a mercy and a reminder for Ares. It was cool and refreshing, washing down his fever and soothing his dry throat. But he could have sworn he could taste the copper undertones of blood on the palate of his mouth. The metallic bitterness of Priscilla's blood whom, although he hadn't dealt the final blow to, he'd been the one that blessed her all the same with an even worse fate of getting torn apart limb from limb.

No full body would be recovered for the aggrieved. Only parts.

Still, as if he was addicted to the taste of his own sins, Ares couldn't get enough of it.

Calum had sent Ares another sponsor gift, the same healing ointment from before as well as a medicinal drink of some sort that was supposedly meant to soothe his insides from how painfully torn up they felt. Ares wasn't all that sure, but he took it anyway. He took it and he tried to trick his mind into thinking it was working whether or not it actually was.

Two others had died along with District One's Priscilla and Hades for the third day.

District Four, Capricious.

District Six, Fender.

It was Capricious who had technically saved Ares' life. She was the girl who'd been screaming moments before he engaged in the fight with Priscilla, and her body was the thing the shark mutts were preoccupied with while he fought underwater nearby none the wiser.

Too bad he couldn't thank her for it.

Ares along with Pandora, Osiris, and Voltina had climbed further up the rock mountain they were situated on. Before, they'd been on a little cliffside relatively low to the ground level, but the rain had quickly washed it away and they had no choice but to go higher. Not to the very peak of the mountain, but high enough that it was excruciating to climbing their weakened freezing states.

It did provide them the advantage of seeing further into the distance, however. Another island of clear ground was visible a little ways away, a small cut off section of washed out trees covering one side of it and masking whoever would have most likely escaped the flooding. It was something they had to keep an eye on if they ever climbed down.

The rain stopped falling shortly after the tribute recap, and the water tides had stopped rising finally, losing their strength and unpredictableness, so they let themselves relax and made camp.

Ares had slept first out of everyone. It was a risk to take, knowing he'd be vulnerable, but he trusted Pandora a lot more after their run-in with Hades to be able to at the least wake him up if something were to happen. At most, she might even be able to defend his body if Osiris or Voltina decided to strike.