𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐟𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞.

( birds of a feather )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"What you did threatening that District Twelve boy was stupid."

Ares' head turned around to face the person the voice belonged to before looking back out at the dark landscape of the Capital in front of him. He'd come out on the rooftop to try and get a final breath of fresh air before his entire world changed. Nobody inside was happy with him about the interview, contrary to what he believed coming out of it. He didn't understand why, and he didn't feel like sitting around just to get scolded the day before he had to risk his life, so he left. As soon as the elevator doors opened to the apartment, he waited for everyone to get out before shutting the doors and going all the way to the highest level.

There he was, staring out at the glimmering lights and moving shadows below where people celebrated in the streets, excited for what was to come in a few short hours. Excited for the reckoning.

"Does it really matter?" He mused, squinting his eyes to try and see if he could tell apart any of their faces.

"I guess not." Callum agreed, coming up beside Ares to lean over the edge of the rail. Though his tone betrayed his dark mood, and he sounded upset. He too had put on a performance backstage, clapping his tribute on the back and making a show of being a prideful mentor to everyone who watched, and now that the pretenses were over he could be real.

It was silent for a tense moment as both of them listened to the shouts and music coming from below. But it didn't last long. Not when both of their tempers only ever seemed to ignite each other further whenever they talked. Like twin flames, eating one another until there was nothing left but ashes of destruction.

"I don't understand why you're so upset. I did what you wanted during the interview. I did everything you asked me to. The people, they love me. I made your job easier if anything. They'll be coming up to you themselves to sponsor me." Ares interjected abruptly, his fingers gripping the railing hard. He thought back to the stupid raven-haired boy who caused this mess in the first place, and he scowled. "And you know I couldn't just ignore Fox. If I did, I'd look weak in front of everyone. At least all of the other tributes know not to mess with me now. Might make my life easier."

More silence followed, and Ares' brows pinched in annoyance. His impatient was growing, and he insisted again, much for firm now. "I did well." It wasn't a question, it was a statement. He didn't need to reassure anyone when his own confidence was enough. They could all think he'd fail, and he'd still be fighting until the very end just to prove them wrong.