the new boy on our doorstep

flamingo pink

flamingo pink

AUGUST'S NOSE WRINKLED in disgust at the smell of wet goat greeting her nose. Annabeth had dragged her all the way to the farmhouse in the middle of the night, and August was regretting letting her do that.

"He's the one. He must be," Annabeth muttered as she looked down at the heap of limbs in front of them. August raised a brow at this, "Are you sure? He isn't what I—"

"Silence," Chiron's voice cut her off. August pursed her lips, narrowing her eyes slightly at the man.

"He's still conscious. Bring him inside."

August groaned at that, immediately scowling as she watched Chiron trot away. She watches as Annabeth goes to pick up Grover, and she smiles convincingly, "You've got it right, beth?"

"No," Annabeth is quick to answer, sending August a glare. "You get the kid." August's smile drops and she huffs in protest. "But-beth you're just so strong, and—"

"Stop acting like we literally don't workout together." Annabeth rolls her eyes, dragging a moaning half-conscious Grover with her.

August frowns, finally looking down at the kid. He had curly hair, and all though he seemed to be asleep, tears flowed down his face. She felt sympathy for him as she remembered what a shit show it was for her to pass the tree....

August quickly snapped out of her thoughts, blinking rapidly when she heard a soft cry from the boy. She quickly picked him up, carrying him to the infirmary.

After gently placing him on the bed, August stepped back next to Annabeth. August crossed her arms and tilted her head as she stared at the boy in front of them.

"You really think he's the one?" August question unsurely, nudging Annabeth softly. Annabeth stayed silent for a long time, her gaze trained on the boy in front of us. Her eyes were calculating, they always were, but now they seemed even more so.

"He is. He has to be." She finally spoke, her voice firm and sure. August bit her lip worriedly, finally looking towards Annabeth. "You thought that about me, though. I just don't want you to get your hopes up..."

"Don't." Annabeth snapped slightly, before turning from August and walking out of the infirmary. August sighed as she watched Annabeth's retreating back, not bothering to catch up with her. August loved Annabeth to death, but it always hurt her when she would see how disappointed Annabeth gets whenever a new person is not the one.

August gave one last look at the boy, highly doubting that he was in the prophecy. August then left the infirmary, walking back to cabin ten. August carefully opened the door, making sure not to wake anybody up and stepped inside. She made her way over to her bunk, kicking off her slippers and sliding underneath her covers.

August dreamt that night.

Which she knows that it's normal for a demigod to dream, it comes with being the child of the gods. But, this one felt too real.