grover...sings to us?

clink, clink

clink, clink

AUGUST STOOD NEXT to Annabeth, campers forming a loose circle with Percy and Chiron at the front. August could hear Chiron inform Percy, "I have selected our most compelling candidates, from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

"August." Percy spoke a little too quickly, causing August to startle at the sound of her name.

"Customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing," Chiron adds, a knowing smile gracing his face as his eyes darted between Percy and August.

"Are you sure you don't want to hear more?" Chiron added, turning his gaze back to Percy.

"This thing, Zues's master bolt, we need to get it back, right?"

"Yes," Chiron nodded along.

"And it's going to be hard to get, yes?" Percy asked, his gaze trained on August. "Extraordinarily," Chiron answered.

"And if the mission required someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed...you'd want someone who won't hesitate when they do it," Percy finished. August locked eyes with him, a small smile growing on her face.

"The first quest-mate shall be Augustine Scarlet!"

Once everybody was dismissed, August quickly went to go pack a bag. She stuffed a handful of clothes, rations, a water canteen, and mascara. Listen, was mascara technically necessary? No, but..

"I heard that you got picked for the quest." Silena exclaimed, going to sit beside August who was struggling to pick between two shirts. August looked up at the older girl, smiling excitedly at the thought of going on her first quest.

"And I heard that he was pretty...quick on picking you," Silena wiggled her eyebrows, nudging August with her shoulder. August's cheeks became red, "I don't know why," she responded defensively. She refused to look at the older girl, her gaze trained on the two shirts in front of her.

"I think I know why," Silena continued her teasing, causing August to turn even redder. August stubbornly didn't answer, still looking at the two shirts in front of her.

"You should go with the black long-sleeve, I heard that since the gods are angry that there's been storms." Silena suggested, noticing how stumped August was. August nodded, folding the shirt and shoving it into her bag.

"When are you leaving?" Silena inquired, watching August set her packed bag beside her bunk.

"Tomorrow." August answered, looking up at Silena now. August noticed a tinge of sadness in Silena's eyes, and August felt her own eyes become slightly watery. Silena was her big sister, she took her in when she arrived to camp and she had a special place in August's heart.