percy plays hero, again

what if all i need is you?

THEY WALKED ON an empty highway. The sun was slowly setting, and August had to fight to keep her eyelids from shutting. She kept accidentally bumping into Percy on her right or Annabeth on her left.

Percy broke the deafening silence, "Hey, guys." August vaguely paid attention.

"I think this quest might be harder than we thought. I've been thinking. I didn't steal the master bolt. You guys didn't steal the master bolt. We're pretty sure Hades has the master bolt, but he couldn't have stolen it himself. I mean, we don't even know who actually stole the thing, or why, or how deep this goes," He looks around at the group, seeing that their faces remained neutral.

Percy sighed, kicking a pebble. "I'm the last person to realize this, aren't I?"

"Yeah." The three answered in unison.

"Okay, so...maybe when we started, my head wasn't fully in this, but since the river...it all feels different somehow. He saved me. My dad. I guess I just never really thought that's something he would do for me. So maybe I gotta take things more seriously now," Percy informed the group, saying the last part more to himself. August stayed silent, thinking about what she saw earlier.

An engine revved in the distance, causing them all to stop. Annabeth was the first to speak, "Car."

"That's not a car, it's a bike. Just let it pass. Come on," he hoped over the fence that separated the road from the land. August followed, sitting down. Annabeth sat beside her, and Grover sat on the other side of Percy.

Percy continued, "I'm saying, we're not just trying to retrieve a thing. I think we might need to be detectives here, too."

The bike seemed to be getting closer and August didn't even notice. Her gaze was unfocused. August couldn't get the image of the fates cutting the string out of her mind. Did it mean she was going to die? Or Grover? Or Annabeth? Her stomach sank at the thoughts swimming around in her head.

"Why are you being weird with me again? I thought we were cool," Percy's voice tinged with annoyance as he turned to face August directly. August snapped her gaze up to him at the tone of his voice. She had been too busy thinking about the fates to realize Percy was waiting for her input.

"I'm not being weird," she said defensively.

Percy persisted, "Yes, you are. You've been weird ever since we left the arch." He gazed at her, like he was trying to find the answer himself before a look of realization washed over him.

"Oh...I get it." August raised a confused brow at this, knowing that he didn't know that she saw the fates.

Percy continued, "It doesn't have to be a thing, you know. That you hugged me." August had never rolled her eyes harder in her life. She had (almost) forgotten that she did in fact hug him. And she only did that out of instinct! No other reason!