august gets handcuffed

aquamarine

aquamarine

AUGUST GROANED IN annoyance as she felt a heavy weight on top of her. Her eyes blinked blearily open to see what the hell fell on her.

She was met with a pair of aquamarine eyes.

August stared stupidly into those eyes she knew all too well, feeling blood rush to her cheeks. Percy smirked, his eyes trailing across her face. He drew constellations where August's freckles lay, and he felt an unfamiliar churning in his stomach, almost like fire was pooling there. But he did what he did best, which was play it cool.

(he wasn't always good at that.)

"Good morning, sweet—"

"Get. Off. Me," August demanded, shoving his chest. He smiled slyly, rolling off to the side. August let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and sat up, pointedly ignoring Percy's insistent stare. Her face was still pink, and her mind couldn't shake off the fact that his voice was just a bit deeper from sleep—

Grover suddenly groaned very loudly and Annabeth buried her head further into her makeshift pillow.

Percy looked up at Grover's makeshift loft, "You awake?"

"Well, I am now. Thanks," He responded grumpily, sitting up on his elbows. August smiled slightly at his grumpiness.

Percy furrowed his eyebrows at his best friend's attitude, "...are you okay?"

"Grover gets super grumpy when he doesn't get his beauty sleep," August slightly teases and Percy turns his attention back to her. He has a mischievous spark in his eye as he asks her, "And what about you, daughter of Aphrodite?"

August's smile quickly faded off her face, now supporting a scowl. She glared at Percy, making him rethink his joke. That's the one thing August didn't like about being a daughter of Aphrodite. Her beauty was the only thing people saw about her.

August loved girly things. She loved makeup and the color pink and doing skincare and painting her nails, but, that's not the only thing about her. She loved learning new fighting techniques, and she loved reading, and she loved the beach, and she loved sparring.

Percy scrambled out, "I—I didn't mean—"

" 'He's super grumpy when he doesn't get his...' " Grover's voice cut off Percy's and he made a weird, blah! sound.

"Wow." Percy watched Grover slump over onto his side in an attempt to get more sleep. Annabeth sat up suddenly, seemingly annoyed by all the commotion.

"You've never been on the road with him before. A little different than a froofy boarding school," Annabeth's voice was a little scratchy from the lack of use.

"Who's froofy? You're froofy. What's froofy?" Grover mumbled to himself angrily. "I think I need to eat," were his next words before loud snoring ensued.