percy takes a plunge

moonlit swimming pool

AUGUST'S BACKPACK BUMPED against her back lightly as the group walked down a concrete-covered hill. Her hands were still bound together, but she had other priorities. The metal clashed against the friendship bracelets she had made during craft time at Camp Half-Blood.

Percy looked around skeptically, "There is an Athenian temple hidden somewhere in the middle of downtown St. Louis?" August couldn't really believe it either, and even so, she wasn't looking forward to having to search for the dang thing.

"Yes. Except it's not all that hidden," Annabeth replied simply. August raised a questioning brow.

They continued walking, the continuous sound of cars honking and chatter ringing in their ears. August's eyes were wide, taking in every building, every alleyway. She locked eyes with Percy while she was looking at a mural on the other side of the street, and he had this weird, soft smile that she had never seen before. August quickly looked away, feeling butterflies erupt in her stomach, sending tingles through her bones. August knew she couldn't like him. Don't get her wrong, she loved love. Annabeth would tease her on how much of a hopeless romantic August was but after finding out about that prophecy...

Plus he was annoying! And she never gave up holding a good grudge.

"It's 630 feet wide, 630 feet tall, both to within an inch. It's got no internal support. Each side is balanced perfectly against the other. The arch is held up by symmetry. It's held up by math," Annabeth rambled off facts as they approached the St. Louis arch. August admired how Annabeth could remember all of these facts about different things. It was probably like how August knew every lyric to every Taylor Swift song. You just knew.

"And it's earthquake-proof, so Poseidon can't ruin it," She added, glancing pointedly at Percy.

Percy smirked to himself like he was ready to prove that wrong, "Nice."

They walked into the monument, an ecstatic Annbeth leading the way. Several tourists filled the building all of them ranging in ages. There were many glass cases filled with different artifacts and little stands with articles on them, that caught August's attention.

"This is how you show Athena your love. A monument to the power of perfection," Annabeth spoke proudly as she looked around.

August looked into one of the glass cases, spotting some cool artifacts displayed. She attempted to read the article displayed along with it, but the words seemed to move around which wasn't too surprising.

"Well since our train exploded, I'm gonna see if there's another we can get tickets on," Annabeth spoke up, breaking August's concentration.

"I'm going to go with her," Grover perked up, sending a weird glance to Percy. August tilted her head at Grover's odd behavior.