Chapter 2 - The truth

"Bharat, tell me what happened!" Rama cried, lightly shaking is brother, "Why do you seem so worried?" Bharata just looked down, no saying anything. "Shatru, please, you tell me, what's wrong?" he asked his youngest brother, realising that the oldest wouldn't tell him anything. But Shatrughna only let out some teary breaths. "Why won't anyone tell me anyth- maa.."

His mothers slowly came, wearing only white, and nothing adorning their bodies. Rama and Lakshmana looked at each other in pain, hoping that their worst nightmare won't come true. Rama looked at Bharata and Shatrughna for conformation.

"Pitashree has left us all, bhaiya." Pitashree has left us all, bhaiya these words kept repeating in his head until Ragunandana fell on Bharata. "Bhaiya.." he sobbed, hugging his elder brother tenderly. Shatrughna rushed towards his twin, who sobbed on his chest instantly.

"H-how did h-he-" Rama askes between gasps, and Bharata sighed sadly, "Tell me.. what ha-happened to pi-pitashree?"

"He died because of his separation from you.." this hurt Rama more, it made him feel as if he was responsible for his father's death, and Bharata sensed that. "Bhaiya, it's not your fault, it's because of my wretched mother that this-" Kaikeyi flinched.

 "Do not say that about your mother." Rama said, slowly standing on his own, "D-do not." Bharata looked down. 

After taking blessings from his mothers and performing the last rites for his father, the brothers were left alone to spend some time with each other while Sita and her sisters spend some time with each other. For the first few minutes, nobody talked, for they were all still grasping the fact that their father was gone, but then Rama tried to lighten the mood.

"So~" he started, and his brother's watched up intently, "how's life..?" they all sighed and looked away. "Sorry- what else am I supposed to ask?" he slightly frowned as his brother's chuckled. 

"We m-missed both of you.." Bharata chocked, and Rama quickly put his hand over Bharata's shoulder. Lakshmana looked away, he wanted to apologize to Bharata again for accusing him, but didn't get the time too. Shatrughna, sensing this, held his twin's hand and gave it a squeeze, a small gesture, but it gave Lakshmana some happiness.

"We missed you both too." Rama replied, patting Bharata on the back. "We missed you both a lot.."

***

"Bhaiya, please, come back home!" Bharata cried, "You need to come back to Ayodhya!" he dropped to the ground, folding his hands...

"Bharat," Rama sighed, bringing Bharata up, "my dear brother, you know I can't do that."

"Why, bhaiya, why?" he held Rama's hands, as Rama looked it him, filled with sadness, 

"I need to keep pitashree's promise, whether.." he broke of, "whether he's here or not."

"I take back my promise putr!" Kaiyeyi stood up, "I take all of it back! Come back to Ayodhya, rule your kingdom!"

"Maa! Not you too!" Rama cried, "Please, try to understand, I can't come back!"

"Bhaiya, please bhaiya!" Shatrughna walked forward, facing Rama with teary eyes, "Come back home.."

"Shatru.." Rama pulled him in to a hug, "My dear brother, my sweet, sweet brother." 

"Bhaiya, you've made your decision, I've made mine." Bharata said, "I'll stay right here, without eating or drinking, until you decide to come back. If you don't, then I'll die right here!"

"No, Bharat no!" Rama cried, cupping Bharata's face, "Do-don't put me in such a dilemma! You know I can't bare to see you in pain--but.."  

"Bhaiya.. please, it's your kingdom!" Bharata pleaded.

"You know what, after the 14 years, I will take the kingdom back Bharat, is that good enough?" Bharata knew that Rama wouldn't agree to come back, so this was good enough for him.

"But bhaiya, if you don't come after exactly after 14 years, then you will never see me again." 

"Bharat!" Rama grabbed his brother, and hugged him, "I promise, my dear brother, I won't even me one day late." Bharata sighed,

"Bhaiya, will you give me something?"

"If you ask, I'm ready to give you my life this instant." Rama said, a lone tear escaping his eyes, "What do you want, Bharat?"

"I would like your padukas(sandles), bhaiya."

"My padukas?" Rama asked, slightly confused, "What will they do for you?"

"When you are not there to rule, who will sit on the throne, bhaiya?" Bharata replied, as if it was as obvious as 1+1 = 2. Rama and Lakshmana embraced both Bharata and Shatrughna again, before bidding them farewell. Rama gave him padukas, and after taking Rama's blessing's, he placed them on his head and walked back home. Rama, Lakshmana and Sita took their parents blessing, and watched as all their loved ones slowly went away..