Chapter 8 - The unwanted visitor.

Lakshmana was sharpening his arrow, like usual. 

Does this guy have anything else to do? Rama wondered, siting next to his brother and patting him on the shoulder. Lakshmana looked at Rama, and gave a little nod, asking his brother what he wanted.

"Lakshu, one-" Rama started, but Lakshmana interrupted him.

"It took me 6 years to convince Bharat bhaiya to not call me that, please bhaiya, do not start again." Lakshmana said with a sigh, remembering his uhm wonderful conversations with Bharata.

"Lakshu, did you see my book?" Bharata yelled, but got no reply. "Lakshu?" he tried again, then sighed. "Oh, I forgot. Lakshman?! You idiot!"

"Yes, bhaiya?" Lakshmana finally replied, walking in from behind Bharata, who rolled his eyes angrily.

"So you won't answer unless I call you Lakshman?"

"I didn't know you were calling me bhaiya, how could I know if you don't call me by my name?" he replied innocently as Bharata almost pounced on top of him.

"And now Shatru calls me that just to annoy me!.." Lakshmana paused, and looked at Rama sadly. They can't call him that anymore since they're not here.. Rama placed his hand on Lakshmana's shoulder, and gave him a smile. 

"Well, now I guess you have to force me out of it, right, Lakshu?"

"Bhaiya!"

***

"Ramu bhaiya, where did I keep my sword?" Lakshmana asked as Sita eyed him suspiciously. 

"Ramu bhaiya..?" she asked, slightly tilting her head.

"I've decided to call Ram b- Ramu bhaiya that until he stops calling me Lakshu." he said as Sita shook her head in disappointment.

"You two are something." Sita said chuckling, shaking her head. Rama walked over, letting his arm dangle on Lakshmana's shoulder.

"Is she teasing us, Lakshu?" he asked, raising an eyebrow,

Lakshmana nodded, "Haan, Ramu bhaiya. Sita bhabi is quite disappointed." 

"Well, will my dear Ramu and Lakshu like to have food?" Sita asked with a laugh, 

"Surely, Situ." Just as Sita turned around, shaking her head, someone walked up behind them. Sita smiled, looking at the visitor. 

"You might you be?" she asked the woman, who gave a small smile back.

"I am Meenakshi, and I've come to ask your hand in marriage." she said, looking at Rama. (yes, Meenakshi-meaning the one with fish shaped eyes- was Surpanaka's original name, as she was beautiful at birth. Surpanaka means the one with sharp nails.) "I've been observing you for quite some time, oh beautiful one, and I have fallen deeply in love with you." Rama looked at Lakshmana, then replied, 

"Meenakshi, I am sorry, but I need to decline your offer. I have promised my wife that she will be the only one that I will marry. But, my brother may be willing to marry you." Lakshmana looked at him angry, and Rama shrugged with a slight grin. Meenakshi nodded, then went to Lakshmana.

"Oh beautiful one, will you be my husband?" she asked him, and Lakshmana declined too.

"Please forgive me, I have completely devoted myself to take care of my brother and bhabi, I won't be able to marry you either." Surpanaka looked enraged. She stared at Sita, pointing her long, crooked fingers at her.

"YOU! You are the reason that I won't be able to marry whom I love! I won't let you live!" She said, running towards Sita. Lakshmana, without second thought, grabbed his sword and sliced that rakshashi's nose. She gasped in pain, clutched her nose and ran away. 

***

Okay, this was a sad chapter to write for me. I like angst, but not these. I felt deeply bad for Shurpanaka after knowing her whole story. With my references, this is what I believe actually happened.

Shurpanaka, or, Meenakshi, was a deeply misunderstood character, without whom, the Ramayana wouldn't have happened. 

She was Ravana's sister, and Ravana had killed her husband as he got too greedy for power.

When she saw lord Rama, she fell in love and proposed to him, and on Rama's suggestion, went to Lakshmana. It is said that they had fun with her, meaning they teased her. She proposed, and instead of simply refusing, the people whom she fell in love decided to laugh at her desperation! 

Yes, going after Sita was a bad thing to do, but Lakshmana could have simply stopped her. I don't think chopping of her nose was not the best thing to do after humiliating her.

There is another version to the story:

It says that Surpanaka never really fell in love with the brothers. She wanted revenge, as Ravana had killed her husband. She understood that Rama would be able to kill him, and wanted to like- make him kill Ravana.

Yes, I know that in the story I didn't really make Rama and Lakshmana seem bad, as I look up to them, and this is not really a point I want to stress that much, as important as it is. It breaks my heart to know what happened to Shurpanaka- if that is what actually happened- and I can't really write more on it, even if she wasn't the best person. Let's just call it karma for her past deeds..? And, I guess our dear Rama and Lakshmana get punished enough throughout their life.

FYI, since I won't be writing this is the next chapter in too much detail, 

Shurpanaka went to Ravana, her older brother, and told him what happened. She told him that she wanted Sita dead, so Ravana sent Mareecha, and asura, to distract Rama and Lakshmana while he kidnapped Sita. 

You guys know this, but just for my happiness. :)