▪︎ 18.

The entire school was now talking about Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger.

There was frenzy of activity on the final days as rumors about Harry, Ron, and Hermione flew throughout the entire school.

"Says he was about to die..."

"Quirell died because of him..."

"Won a great chess match..."

Everyone who knew Harry personally sent up gifts to the Hospital Wing, where Harry was laying, unconscious on the bed.

The only person who was concerned about something else other than Harry was Oliver because they had lost the match ruefully without their Seeker.

Oliver stuck himself in the showers for so long that Rehan got up concerningly and went for him, convincing him to get out and not think about the match. He held Oliver close-by, afraid that if he left go the the Quidditch Captain, tears would flood down any second.

Percy, after hearing the details directly from Ron and Hermione, went around telling everyone that it was his brother who defeated McGonagall's giant chess game.

"You play chess well, right?" Percy asked Eliza.

"Yes, I do." Eliza replied.

"Play once with my brother. I'd like to see who'd win. My girlfriend or my brother." Percy said, looking up thoughtfully.

Eliza raised up a brow. "Girlfriend Percy?" She asked teasingly. "I'm your girlfriend, is it?"

Percy blushed profusely. "I-I mean, if you w-want to. I-I don't mind anything." He struggled to say.

Eliza giggled. "I never thought you as the romantic type." She said.

Huffing out, Percy adjusted his glasses. "W-Well, that is true. I am not one to know how to charm people."

"And yet here you are, sneaking every other day, to kiss your girlfriend." Eliza said casually, yet in a teasing voice.

Percy's blush didn't disappear. He stumbled on words only to shut up when Eliza put his arms around her waist and pulled him for a kiss.

***

To Gryffindor's dismay, Slytherin had won the house cup for the seventh year in a row. Huge silver and green banners were decked out in the Great Hall, celebrating Slytherin's win.

It certainly held back a little enthusiasm, but their entire enthusiasm didn't disappear. The Gryffindor students still chatted about, talking of everything going through and of the summer vacation.

Just as the start of the year, Eliza's left sat Claire and to her right sat Percy. To their opposite, Rehan was in the middle of Oliver and James.

"If I would've told that by the end of the year, you and I would be together, would you have believed it?" Eliza asked.

"Nope. I would've probably said that you were mad and never spoke to you again." Percy said honestly.

"Can't you lovebirds give it a rest?" Claire hissed silently. "I'm getting bored out of my mind, listening to you both."

Percy clicked his tongue, "Just because you can't get a move on Blackwood," He said.

Eliza coughed out her water. Looking at the incredulous expression on Claire's face, Eliza laughed.

"Shut up Weasley, you have no idea what you're talking about." Claire snapped.

"You and Jameson are the only two blind fools who don't see anything. The rest of us have perfect vision, thanks." Percy replied.

Claire opened her mouth to argue but was interrupted by the opening of the doors to the Great Hall. Everyone fell silent as Harry walked through them, trying hard not to look at everyone looking at him as he took a seat between Hermione and Ron. A babble of whispers broke around him, surely talking about him.

Moments later, Dumbledore got up to deliver his end-of-year speech.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully, your heads are all a little fuller than they were... you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts... Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

Almost no one except the Slytherins cheered. They clapped and whistled loudly, jeering at the other tables.

"Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin," Dumbledore said. "However, recent
events must be taken into account."

The cheered vanished from the Slytherins faces. Hope rekindled in the Gryffindors as Eliza took Percy's hand in hers.

"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes..."

"First – to Mr. Ronald Weasley—"

Ron went purple in the face; he looked like a radish with a bad sunburn.

"—For the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I
award Gryffindor house fifty points."

The Gryffindors cheered loudly. It was so loud that the stars that were bewitched above seemed to shake. Percy pressed Eliza's hand excitedly as she grinned at him.

There was silence again.

"Second – to Miss Hermione Granger for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

"At this rate, we might beat Slytherin!" Claire said eagerly as she clapped hard.

"Third – to Mr. Harry Potter," Dumbledore said. The room went eerie silent."For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points."

There were roars from the Gryffindor table.

"We're tied with Slytherin! We're tied!" Eliza said frantically, shaking Percy, who was watching Eliza in amusement, also smiling lightly.

Dumbledore raised his hand, and the room went quiet again.

"There are all kinds of courage," Dumbledore said, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. I therefore award ten points to Mr. Neville Longbottom."

The students went berserk. Gryffindor was now in first place, and finally, after years, beating Slytherin. The plump boy was receiving applause, congratulations, and hugs. Claire was now hugging Eliza excitedly in cheer for winning.

"Which means," Dumbledore called over the storm of applause, for even
Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the downfall of Slytherin, "We need a little change of decoration."

He clapped his hands, and in an instant, the Serpent themed banner changed into the Lion ones. Silver was replaced by gold, and green was replaced by red.
Up near the High Table, Professor Snape was shaking Professor McGonagall's hand begrudgingly.

It was definitely with a bang that the year ended with.