01 } Happy Hunger Games

"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor." - Effie Trinket

" - Effie Trinket

——

AURORA'S FINGERS were growing numb as she continued her work, sewing a sturdy brown shirt intended for sale. The changing seasons were upon them, and with the approach of warmer weather, the demand for lighter clothing surged among District 12.

Memories of winter, where she spent long hours hand-knitting thick sweaters, lingered vividly in her mind. Her fingers still had blisters that had formed then.

Aurora's Aunt Muriel was known as the best seamstress in District 12. She crafted beautiful garments using fabrics from the marketplace. However, her talent was somewhat underutilized, as people couldn't afford luxury clothing.

After their parents passed away, Aurora and her older sister Josie moved in with Aunt Muriel. The sisters quickly adapted to their new life, learning the intricacies of sewing and knitting. They spent countless hours beside their aunt, their hands moving in rhythm as they repaired rugged overalls for the coal miners or crafted simple yet durable clothing for the townspeople.

It was hard work too. Everything they made was hand-sewn or knitted, as they didn't have the fancy machines found in the Capitol or richer districts. Even if they did, the cost of running them was another barrier.

"Don't forget to sew the buttons on tightly, Wildflower," Josie's voice broke her concentration.

"Are you always going to remind me, Josie?" Aurora asked, rolling her vibrant green eyes.

"What else would I be here for?" Josie replied, walking over to the fridge. She opened it and had to bend down to see inside, a problem Aurora, being shorter, didn't have. The sisters didn't resemble each other much, except for their eye color.

Josie, tall and striking with her green eyes and pale skin, had a presence that was hard to miss. Her blonde hair, straight and sleek, was neatly pinned back, adding to her elegant appearance.

Aurora, in contrast, never considered herself to be elegantly put together. She often humorously remarked that she was 'cursed' with curly brown hair. While she loved her curls, the frequent rain in District 12 tended to leave her hair frizzy and unruly, much to her chagrin.

"How many shirts did Aunt Muriel tell you to finish before the reaping?" Josie inquired.

"Actually, this is the last one," Aurora replied, setting aside the freshly completed shirt. Before glancing up at Josie.

Josie was dressed in her finest attire, a blue dress adorned with white pleating. In District 12, it was customary to wear one's best clothes to the reaping, like sheep being selected for slaughter.

"I saw Lucy Gray while coming back from the bakery. Maude Ivory and she were carrying loads of flowers. Is she coming over so we can all go to the reaping together?" Josie asked, holding out a piece of bread.