08 } The Arena

"Kind people have a way of working their way inside me and rooting there."
- Katniss Everdeen

"- Katniss Everdeen

——

ALONE AT HER TABLE after Coriolanus's departure, Aurora look around the room. Her eyes roamed over the other tributes – some were quietly shedding tears, while others sat in stoic silence. She felt a heavy stillness settle around her as she absorbed the emotions filling the room.

Before long, Sejanus, Coriolanus's friend, took the seat across from her, his demeanor one of utter defeat. He didn't speak immediately, seemingly aware of the oddity of abandoning his own tribute to sit with her. "Are you going to get in trouble for this?" Aurora whispered, leaning in closer.

Sejanus gave a wry smile. "They can't touch me."

Aurora eyed him. "He still won't talk to you?" she asked, referring to Sejanus's tribute.

Locking eyes with her, Sejanus's expression softened, revealing his frustration and sadness. He nodded slowly. "I've tried everything to reach him, to offer my support, but he keeps shutting me out," he admitted, his voice betraying a sense of helplessness and concern. "It's like he's built a wall around himself that I just can't break through."

Aurora pondered his situation. "Coriolanus didn't say much, but think about it from his perspective. What if roles were reversed? What if you were chosen, only to find out someone you knew was now part of this... this system that put you here?"

Sejanus sighed, a look of disappointment crossing his face. "I tried to quit. I told them I didn't want to do this, but they wouldn't let me."

Aurora nodded understandingly. "Sometimes, all you can do is be there and wait until they're ready to let you in. It's tough, but your effort shows how much you care."

Sejanus looked up, a trace of gratitude flickering in his eyes. "I know. I just wish I could do more," he said, his tone reflecting his deep concern.

Sejanus managed a small, appreciative smile, the gratitude in his gaze deepening. "Thanks, Aurora. It helps, hearing that from you. I'll keep trying, no matter what," he resolved, his voice carrying a new note of determination.

Then, with a thoughtful glance, he seemed to remember something important. "I just realized, I never gave you a proper introduction. I'm Sejanus Plinth."

Aurora smiled warmly at him. "Nice to meet you, Sejanus. I'm Aurora Grace." Then she looked over at Marcus, who was glaring at the table. "So, you're originally from District 2, right?"

Sejanus nodded. "Yeah, after the war, my family moved us to the Capitol. They made a lot of money in munitions"

Aurora playfully said, "You seem like you're always stirring up trouble."

Sejanus laughed. "Yeah, my dad often has to donate money to smooth things over."

Aurora leaned in slightly, her curiosity piqued. "So, what's it like, living in the Capitol? It must be quite different from District 2."