05 } 'Mender'

"I noticed just about every girl, but none of them made a lasting impression but you."
- Peeta Mallark

" - Peeta Mallark

——

FOR THE REMAINDER of the journey, Aurora and Wovey sat close to each other, sharing stories from their lives. "District 8's all about textiles, you know," Wovey said, her young voice tinged with a mix of sadness and homesickness. "My mom works with fabrics. I love helping her, especially with designing new patterns. It's like creating art with threads."

Aurora offered a warm smile. "That sounds amazing. I bet you've made some beautiful things."

"What about you?" Wovey asked.

"Back in District 12, my Aunt Muriel is a seamstress. She's really amazing, even though sewing isn't as big in our district as it is in yours."

Wovey's eyes lit up with curiosity. "Really? What kinds of things does she make?"

Aurora glanced down at her attire, her fingers brushing over the fabric of her dress. "Well, this floral dress I'm wearing? She taught me how to make it."

"Wow, that's really cool!" exclaimed Wovey, her eyes growing wider. "It's so pretty. I've always wanted to make my own clothes."

Their conversation was gently interrupted by the slowing of the train, signaling their arrival. "We're at the Capitol now," Wovey murmured, her voice dropping to a whisper as her earlier excitement faded.

Despite the anticipation, the doors remained shut, creating an unusual stillness during the stop. "Probably trying to torture us even more," Aurora muttered to Jessup, her frustration evident.

The heat inside the car was stifling, suffocating. Without windows or any semblance of airflow, the air felt thick and heavy. Aurora could feel the fabric of her cream dress clinging to her skin, damp with sweat. She glanced down, noticing how many of the live flowers that once adorned her dress had been lost in the cramped conditions, casualties of the constant jostling and lack of space.

Her once neatly braided hair had come undone, leaving her curls loose and tangled around her face, though some live flowers still clung resiliently within them.

"You got that right, princess," Reaper added, overhearing her comment. Aurora felt a warm flush spread across her cheeks in response.

Finally, the gates swung open, and everyone recoiled from the sudden flood of sunlight. The confinement in a windowless train car had left them unaccustomed to the brightness. "Alright, move it!" barked a peacekeeper, emphasizing the command with the thud of his baton against the door.

Standing up, Aurora stretched, her body releasing a series of audible cracks as it unwound from being tightly packed in with the others.

As fellow tributes poured out of the cart, Jessup leaped out first, offering assistance. "Here, I'll help y'all," he said to Wovey and Aurora. Motioning for Wovey to go ahead, Jessup help her before turning his attention to Aurora.