11 } "Fallin' into your ocean eyes"

"Make him pay for it, okay?"
- Johanna Mason

"Make him pay for it, okay?" - Johanna Mason

——

BACKSTAGE AT THE CAPITOL'S grand auditorium was buzzing with nervous energy as tributes from each district lined up, waiting for their chance to impress potential sponsors during their interviews. Unfortunately, they had to complete their interviews without the guidance of their mentors due to the bombing.

As the female tribute from District 12, Aurora was scheduled to go last, giving her plenty of time to watch the others and think about her own strategy. She wasn't sure what to do.

Before the bombing, Coriolanus had encouraged her to showcase her singing talents, but now, without her guitar, she was hesitant. Perhaps she could sing acapella or recite some poetry?' She thought.

Many tributes planned to discuss their skills directly—like Coral, who talk about her proficiency with a trident, even suggesting how she could kill someone with it—Aurora shuddered at the thought.

Aurora almost wished that her Aunt Muriel were here. If Aunt Muriel were here, she would advise Aurora to dress up beautifully, charm the audience, and make the Capitol fall in love with her. Sadly, the tributes had been deprived of clean water and mirrors. Aurora was all too aware of the dark circles under her eyes and the bruises and cuts marring her skin.

If Josie were here, she might have advised Aurora to follow a path similar to Coral's, albeit less graphic. Although, Aurora was unsure which skills she could confidently discuss.

She remembered when she was 11, Josie had taught her archery and Aurora had become quite good at it. They practiced shooting at trees until Josie suggested shooting animals to sell. However, the traumatic experience of killing a deer ended Aurora brief archery career. The experience left her in tears, vowing never to use her archery skills to harm another living creature.

"Aurora Grace?" A voice suddenly pierced through Aurora's concentration. The voice carried a certain warmth that contrasted with the coldness of the Capitol. Aurora turned to find a young girl, around the same age as Josie, approaching her.

The girl was slender, with a long, pointed nose and pale skin that almost seemed to blend with her pale blonde hair. Her eyes, a striking golden brown, looked at Aurora with open curiosity.

"Yes," Aurora responded, her curiosity piqued.

The girl offered a small, friendly smile. "Hi, I'm Tigris," she said. Her demeanor was warm, almost comforting.

Aurora eyes widened in surprise. "Tigris? You're Coriolanus's cousin, right?"

Tigris nodded, her smile growing a bit. "Yes, I am."

Tigris and Coriolanus shared a striking resemblance, both sporting pale blond hair and fair skin. They both radiated a warm and beautiful aura.

Aurora hesitated, gathering her courage before voicing the question that had been haunting her thoughts. "How is he? Is he okay?" She had received no news about Coriolanus since the bombing and had little hope of getting any.