9.

The morning after Rhaenyra and her children's return to King's, Landing, Maester Orwyle and several acolytes tended to King Viserys's affliction which had worsen over the years.

They were doing all they could to try and help him, but his illness was not improving.

"I want to have supper, Otto."

"It is the morning, Your Grace."

The King ordered his Hand to arrange a supper that night with all of his family in attendance once again.

"Tonight. The whole of my family... are gathered at the Red Keep. I want us... to dine together."-the King groaned in pain.

"Bring milk of the poppy."-Viserys
refused the milk of the poppy given to him by Otto Hightower.

"No. Just arrange the supper."

                                 ♧

Later that day in the throne room, Otto, seated on the Iron Throne in Viserys's stead in his role as Hand of the King, presided over the succession of Driftmark in the event of Lord Corlys's death.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark."

Otto presided over the succession of Driftmark in the event of Lord Corlys's death.

"As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters. The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon."-Vaemond spoke first.

"My Queen, my Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind."

He citined House Velaryon's history as one of the survivors of the Doom of Valyria.

Both Daemon and Naella were watching the proceedings intently, and they both couldn't help, but smirk at the way Vaemond was trying to gain power and influence for himself.

"Our forebearers came to this new land knowing that they were to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their names. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

He also citined himself as Corlys's closest kin and a true heir of Velaryon blood.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon. If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. Now, you only speak for yourself and for your own ambition."

Rhaenyra scornfully accused Vaemond of serving nothing, but his own ambition in undermining the succession of Laenor's trueborn son and Corlys's preferred successor.

"You will have chance to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard."-she was silenced by Alicent.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours."

"The Sea Snake had all the time in the world to name you his heir. Yet, here you stand."-Naella stared directly in his eyes, making it clear that she was not intimidated by him.

"But, do go on, please."-Daemon chuckled behind his daughter, amused at her sass.

"My Queen, my Lord Hand. This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation of the survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor... the Lord of Driftmark and Lord of the Tides."