Part 9

Chapter 9

AKIHITO SHIRAHOSHI

As soon as Akihito had realized the nature of the world he had found himself in he had begun becoming more active. And while he may have hit roadblocks on many of the avenues towards which he had worked, he had succeeded in many as well.

Transformation of the Shinoi lands had been one, his father strict and distant he may be, but the man upon recognizing his son's intellectual prowess, had involved him in the governing of these lands even prior to his death, and with that, he had been able to slowly implement several changes in how the lands were governed.

Improved farming techniques, improved health care facilities, basic hygiene, a small and bubbling industrial sector had helped propel the region of Shinoi from moderately good farmland to one of the economic hubs of the land of fire.

His other ventures like the soup kitchen, crack down on banditry and corruption, had also won him the love of the people of his land, and so as he strode in through the gates of his castle, or shiro two columns of servants bowed to him as one of his most trusted aides rushed towards him.

"We were not expecting you till tonight, my lord," spoke up the lady Nakiri-san, the woman who had practically raised him. Nakiri Erina was one of her mother's lady-in-waiting, a common village girl whose parents had been but farmers. She had accompanied his mother to this castle when his father had been granted these lands and, upon her death, had taken charge of the Household.

He got off his horse and saw her eyes look beyond him, probably searching for the carriage.

"We were attacked on the way," he replied, answering her unasked question, and she gasped at that.

"Miyuki-him?" she questioned, and he raised his hand, calming her down.

"We weren't hurt. As for Miyuki-hime, the whole ordeal troubled her, so I rushed ahead with her. She is with Shizune-san," he answered and saw her eyes widen.

"I shall have accommodations prepared for the esteemed guests at once," she caught on quickly, and he nodded.

"Good, and have Ieyatsu call a Council," he said as he moved past her, motioning for the aged woman to join him.

"It seems you were right," he said as he gave her a pointed look.

"We won't be able to remain neutral in this conflict afterall," he said and the woman smirked, though he didn't miss the hint of apprehension and sadness in her gaze at those words.

That had been his initial plan. The developments in Shinoi had not gone unnoticed by those aspiring to become the daimyo, and over the last year he had received several offers, ranging from marriages, wealth, and power for his support. Many of them had been rather tempting, yet in all tis strife he had wished to remain neutral to avoid this whole conflict.

Though Nakiri-san had pointed out that his reasoning was nothing but flawed, that a rising lord such as him could scarcely avoid the crises lying ahead.

"I would say that 'I told you so,' but even I didn't see the daimyo marrying his daughter to you like this," she added as she glanced at him as they entered the castle.

The Shirahoshi castle was rather large, for it served as a fortress as well as a dwelling for the jito. It had four buildings made out of thick lumber and rose into the sky with its five floors, with guards stationed at each one.

They entered the castle, the servants bowing to him and congratulating him on his marriage at each step as they moved towards his solar.

"I need to send a missive to the daimyo-sama about the attack. Have Ieyatsu gather the ministers by then. I shall convene with them after a bath," he ordered, and the older woman nodded as he slid open the doors to his solar. He was stopped by a question from behind

"Are you happy with the marriage, Akihito?" she questioned, dropping the formality as she addressed him as the son she had helped raise.

And how does one answer that? He was going to have to marry someone, and if her words were right, then it would have been the sisters of any of the other claimants or such, and the match would have been a political one.

From the time he had gotten to spend together with the Princess, he had been surprised by her. Hidden beneath that blanket of sadness was a gentle and pure soul, a rare and unsuitable combination for someone of her position. Someone like her, with a heart as such, would be easily crushed by all those around her.

"I am not unhappy," he replied, thinking it the most appropriate answer and the woman's eyes glinted as she lowered her head.

"But you do know what this means, right, Akihito? The attacks and plotting won't stop. They will only increase after this. Are you ready to face all of it?" she said worriedly, and he looked straight ahead.

He knew that. Though the rapidity of the first strike had taken him by surprise, it seemed he had been deemed quite a threat for them to target him so quickly like this.

Yet what could he do? Give up.

No. Akihito Shirahoshi was many things, but he wasn't one to go back on his word. And he had promised Miyuki her revenge, and so his eyes narrowed as he answered.

"It doesn't matter now, though, does it."

"I will have to be!"

0000

The fire Daimyo sat in his solar reading the letter he had just received from the young jito of Shinoi. It seems their caravan had been attacked by bandits, though thankfully both him and his daughter were fine.

And neither him nor the young Akihito had mistaken this for what it truly was. An assassination attempt. The First of many.

Yet the boy had been quick to retaliate as well, for contained in this missive was another report from one of his own speaking of how the young lord had just imposed severe tariffs on the export of goods into the neighboring lands. Lands that were under the reign of Lord Mahiro.

He was sure that petitions would soon arrive from the lord above over the unlawful nature of these levies. He would ignore them all, obviously that was all the help he could offer the young Akihito, the rest was upto him.

So, he put down the letter and sipped his tea. It warmed his insides as it traveled down his mouth simmering down the ever present aches that now ailed his body. The moon shined above in the sky, as he imagined the tumultuous times waiting for his lands in the future.

"And so, it begins!"

0000

As always, you can read ahead and support me on Patre 0n. Your support makes it possible for me to write these stories. So, if possible, have a look and consider supporting me. It would help me out quite a bit.

(P)(A)(T)(R)(E)(O)(N) / Drkest

Have fun reading!