Part 11

Chapter 11

IEYATSU GIN

Ieyatsu Gin watched as the advisors left the conference room, leaving him alone with their lord and leader. Just as the daimyo had a prime minister under him to do his bidding, he occupied a similar role under the jito of Shinoi. Something which was rather unimaginable for someone like him, for he didn't come from a line of shugo's or jito's or even other histories families.

No, Ieyatsu Gin was born out of wedlock, not an uncommon occurrence for these times, yet the thing that held him back most was that he was born with the western features of his father, a man whom he didn't even know the name of.

He had traveled through the lands and had been shunned everywhere he went for his looks, and despite his qualifications, no lord would give him a place at his hearth until he had found himself in these lands, driven here by the news of the young lord who had turned their fortune around, transforming simple arable province of Shinoi into a literal economic powerhouse.

The young lord was strange, lacking the usual spiral and haughtiness of those born into privilege, and unlike the others, hadn't looked at him with contempt in his eyes.

And so, he had found himself sworn into his service, his skill with the sword and his mind now his lords to use. And use them he had over the years, yet it was only now would he get the opportunity to truly lend the man his aide.

He looked towards the young lord, who cracked his neck as Ieyatsu questioned.

"So raised taxes and tariffs, that's a rather meek response for someone who just tried to assassinate you and your lady wife," he questioned and saw young Akihito's eyes narrow onto him, as the young lord continued.

"And who said that? This was all," he finished in a cold tone, and he smirked. Of course, it was not. Their neighboring lord had just tried to kill him, and Akihito was many things, but a fool he was not.

"So, what is the plan?" he questioned as he walked up and sat down opposite to the young lord, who pointed at the bordering region of Mahiro lands.

"Lord Mahiro drives much of his income from these iron and silver mines; it would be rather troublesome if these mines suddenly collapsed," the young lord said, telling him of his plans, and they were quite sound.

"But what of the war? Such an attack could draw the daimyo's ire, for we need that metal to make weapons," he replied, voicing his concern as a good advisor should.

"The war is over, and though the tensions remain high, I don't believe there will be much fighting now. Though regardless, the daimyo-sama won't move against us," he added resolutely, and he was reminded of how the young lord was now family to the daimyo-sama, being recently married to his sole daughter by his lady wife.

Though, that was another headache in itself.

The succession war was gruesome and cruel, and most of all, bloody. And now the young lord opposite to him had been thrust into it, by the virtue of his marriage.

"Speaking of that, how is Lady Miyuki? I have heard that she fainted due to the bloodshed," he questioned, and the young lord's face contorted with worry as he sighed.

"Yes, she did faint, but she will be fine," he replied, and he narrowed his gaze, as he recalled the rumors about the infamous glass princess of land of fire.

"SO, how bad is it?" he decided to cut straight to the point, and the young lord looked at him, examining him before he replied.

"It is bad, she was poisoned, heavily. If not for proper treatment, she would have died within the year, but now she will live," he replied, confirming the rumors, and he sighed.