Part 15

Chapter 15

KATSUGAWA MIYUKI-

Katsugawa could never ever have imagined that she would be living the life she was at the moment. Plagued by a constant ache and overhanging threat of death, she had begun to count down the days till her eventual demise, growing hopeless over her situation with every passing second.

Yet the dull ache and hopelessness that had ached her for over a year was now gone. Eradicated, her breaths coming easier, and the future seemed less bleak than it ever had, at least in the last year.

Yet she still remains troubled. The situation in Shinoi lands was tense, and she was not blind to the tension building up as the guards trained vigorously with their blades. But more than that, she was tense over personal reasons, reasons that concerned her rather abrupt marriage with the young lord of these lands.

The very lord who for now stood in the yard below, in a simple hakama, his blade in hand as four of the castle guards circled him, sweat dripping down their faces.

And despite being aware of Akihito-san's prowess with a blade, she couldn't help but flinch whenever one of those guards swung their blades at him as she stood on the balcony watching the whole ordeal along with the castle's caretaker, Lady Nakiri.

"Nakiri-san, may I ask you a question?" she began, and the older woman nodded politely.

"Of course, my lady," she replied with a small bow. Nakiri-san was basically the person who had raised Akihito-san and was most aware of anything related to him.

She fiddled around with her thumb, trying to frame the question in the best words, as she finally worded out.

"Do you think I am pretty?" she finally voiced out in a near whisper.

"What did you say, my lady?" she questioned again, probably her voice was too quiet for her.

Yet she gulped down as she pinched her thumb before repeating.

"Do you think I am pretty?" she questioned again, and saw Lady Nakiri frown a bit as she answered.

"Of course, my lady. You are, I would say you are the prettiest person I know, but may I ask why you ask this," she questioned, a bit of sharpness leaking into her tone as she moved closer to her

And Miyuki didn't know how to answer that without embarrassing herself, yet she was at the end of her rope.

"My lady, if any of the servants have made an overtur...." Nakiri-san began in a cold tone, aiming to shake her hand.

"NO, no, not at all," she cut in quickly, knowing that.

"Then why did you ask me that, my lady?" she questioned in a soft tone as she looked over her.

Her eyes darted to the man in black hakam in the center of the yard, now standing alone as the four guards he faced lay on the ground huffing, and defeated, as four more walked forward to take their place, giving him no respite.

"You can tell me whatever worries you, my lady, Akihito-sama has ordered that you be made to feel as comfortable as possible," Nakiri-san cut in, as she shook her head. Truthfully there wasn't much she lacked here, she would even argue that her life in Shinoi lands was even better than the one she had had in the capital.

The servants tip-toed around her, bowing and complimenting her at every turn, working tirelessly to fulfill all her wishes. There was a sense of safety here that she had felt for the first time in a year, and Akihito was kind to her. He often dined with her and took her out as he showed her around his lands.