Part 14

Chapter 14

HIRUZEN SARUTOBI

The Third Hokage sat in himself, rather pleased and intrigued, as he looked at the person sitting opposite to him.

"It is surprising to find you back in the village so soon; I had thought I wouldn't see you for quite some years when you left at the end of the war," he remarked, looking at his wayward student.

However, he was wrong in using the term the end of the war, for the war hadn't even yet ended per se. But Tsunade had been in charge of the medical division during the war, operating mainly from the village, only rarely venturing to the Northern front, though when the fighting died and everyone could feel the war coming to an end, she had packed up her bags and vanished with her apprentice.

Tsunade, on her part, didn't respond to the insult and simply hummed away as she looked around the office.

"Me neither, yet here I am," she remarked simply as her eye settled on his hat, which lay right infront of him at the moment.

"So, you are finally going to give up that hat," she said, a hint of sadness and intrigue in her tone, and he raised a brow as he replied.

"Indeed, and I would be happy to pass it on to you if you be willing," and she would be a better choice than many, he knew. Yet he didn't even need to wait for her answer, given how her expression changed at his words.

"No, thank you. And gods forgive what is it with me and being Hokage! You are the second person in this week to propose such a thing," and he didn't need to guess who as the first.

Tsunade, on the virtue of being a Sanin and her prowess, was afforded several liberties, liberties which were not available to a regular ninja. Like roaming through the continent, not fulfilling a mission quota, and so forth. Yet that didn't mean he would let his dear student roam freely, so a sharp eye was kept on her movements, and so he knew of her rather frequent visits to the lands of Shinoi and how she had been there just days ago.

"I believe that person was the current jito of Shinoi, the young lord Akihito, I believe," he questioned and saw her eyes narrow at his words.

"Yes," she replied with a raised brow.

"And what was your answer to him?" he questioned as he smoked from his pipe. She wouldn't be idiotic enough to agree to him, yet with his students, he could never truly be sure.

"The same one that I gave you," she replied, and he nodded. It seemed that he didn't have anything to worry about on that front.

"Good, though I am afraid I did notice the lack of your apprentice, Shizune," he began as his voice hardened.

"Why is she still in Shinoi lands?" he questioned, knowing that she was aware of the tumultuous times they were living in at the moment.

"She is there to treat Lady Miyuki, the newlywed wife of Lord Akihito," she replied, and he hoped that it was the only thing she was doing there.

"I hope you know what you are doing, Tsunade, if she were to break the oaths, even I wouldn't be able to protect her," he replied, making his stance clear.

And the oaths were simple. No Konoha nin would accept a mission against any land of fire noble. This was the cardinal rule, and though many tried to scurry around it, it was his duty to ensure that no Konoha nin took such a mission and, lest one did, that he be prosecuted and punished accordingly.

"You don't remind me of that. I know of the oaths and the treaty quite well," she replied, making his heart ease up.

"But I am afraid some people in the village don't," she continued, her tone sharp and cold as their eyes met, and the atmosphere in the room went tense.