fourth chapter

TREECH WAS FURIOUS; it was not enough that he was being sent to his death, but now he was also trapped like an animal

TREECH WAS FURIOUS; it was not enough that he was being sent to his death, but now he was also trapped like an animal. Nesta next to him was static and a little disturbed. She knew that this year things would be different, but she thought that at least they would treat the tributes better, as a small comfort on the road to death.

Outside the cell, to the dismay of the tributes, were citizens of the Capital with their exaggerated hairstyles and extremely bulky clothes. In Treech's vision, they looked like clowns.

Nesta looked inside her bag, which was now a little dirty and wrinkled, but fortunately the food, despite being a little 'crushed', was not spoiled and no water bottle had been opened. "I'll be right back; go find Lamina." The girl said, addressing the boy next to her, Treech raised his eyebrow suspiciously.

"Where are you going?"

She seemed surprised by the question; she genuinely thought she was going to get more rude words. "I'm going to distribute food to the remaining tributes; have you eaten yet?" Treech shook his head, and the girl sighed and took a large portion of food out of her bag. "Eat that!" Nesta ordered in a firm but soft voice.

"I didn't know you were bossy, Capitol girl; what a pleasant surprise." He said it in a sarcastic voice, but when she blushed, a small smile was seen on his face. "Whatever, go see Lamina; I'll be right there." Treech laughed at the horrible attempt to change the subject. "All right, sweetheart, I'm coming. I'm coming." And before seeing her reaction, the boy was already heading towards the rock, where his district partner was with food in hand and an amused expression in the face.

Nesta shook her head to try to hide her flushed cheeks and went towards the closest pair, district 9. Sheaf and Panlo were behind some rocks a few feet away. Sheaf seemed to be trying to comfort her district partner, who was nervous and mumbling nonsensical things. The girl waited for a while before 'introducing' herself to district 9. "Sorry." She paused, and their eyes turned to her with anger and suspicion, but Nesta didn't waver. "I brought food; are you two hungry?" The pair looked at each other and decided to get up to get the food.

Sheaf was the first; she was wary and looked up at Nesta as if asking if the food was really being offered to her, with no tricks or malice behind the gesture. When Nesta gave her a comforting smile, Sheaf sighed. and took out 1 sandwich, 1 piece of pie, and a bottle of water. "Thanks," she replied, almost inaudible, and before the student could respond, Panlo was already in front of her, but the boy didn't look at Nesta for confirmation or reassurance; he took two pieces of fruit and a sandwich and left without a word. She was from the capital after all and didn't deserve a thanks.

Nesta didn't care about Panlo's lack of words; he wasn't her tribute, and he was also scared. She just followed the path and headed towards Reaper and Dill, the duo from 11.

The first thing Nesta heard as she approached was Dill's dry cough. Next to her was Reaper, who was rubbing his hand on her back and whispering encouraging words close to her ear. Nesta sighed. If the games didn't kill her, the disease certainly would. Tuberculosis was already a problem in the Capitol, so in the districts it was a hundred times worse, even more so for someone so young.