Chapter Nine

Two Years Later:

"Vihaan...Open your mouth, Aaa" Ishan's voice broke through his appartment in London as he sat at the kitchen island with his one year old toddler.

Vihaan gave him a toothy grin sticking out the four teeth he'd grown recently. Ishan's heart melted at the sight, as he fed his baby another spoonful.

Two years ago, Ishan had made a decision that turned his life upside down... everything and everyone he'd ever known were now a part of forgotten history. The day he'd announced his pregnancy to his family, everything had fallen apart, the news had culminated in a lot of emotional fights and angry tears, he had immediately left the house without a second thought when his father had asked him to pick between his family or the child. Then, Ishan had said, "He is my family now..."

BCCI and MI were dumbfounded and appalled at his premature retirement, begging him to reconsider but Ishan was resolute in his decision. His teammates and fans were worse; horrified and confused, but mostly saddened to lose such a great player of the sport.

Shubman had remained silent throughout; he just watched as Ishan's world burned down, completely unaware.

Ishan had started a small jewellery business in the centre of London's west end, miles away from what he still considered home. To say the least, he was happy with the flourishing business, as it grew steadily in capital and profit.

Virat's call interrupted his train of thoughts, he immediately kept the bowl of cerelac aside and picked his phone.

"Goodmorning,Virat bhai,"  he spoke cheerily.

"Hey, Ishu! How's my little Vihu?" Virat's voice sounded from the other line.

"Your Vihu is as naughty as ever! He's coloured the white marbled floor with his crayons early morning." Ishan spoke playfully as he side eyed his baby who was now busy with the blueberries on his tray.

"Ahahha. That sounds like my boy" Virat chuckled, "I'll be there in five minutes, is his nanny there yet?"

"Yeah, she's just arrived, she's clearing up his playroom as we speak" Ishan replied.

Two years ago, Virat had found the hidden sonogram from the younger's bag as he had been clearing out his locker. Without demanding a word of explanation, Virat had been the first person to accept him as he is; he had pulled Ishan into a warm and comforting embrace and silently stroked his hair as the younger cried uncontrollably.

From then on, Virat visited him regularly in secret. He'd kept him hidden from all their teammates and BCCI. Even during Ishan's pregnancy and delivery, Virat had been a constant, going to the extent of taking international breaks and leaves for him and Vihaan.

And every now and then, Virat made surprise visits to London, whenever he could. Today was another such a day, he'd promised to drop Ishan off to work, run a few errands himself and then take the father and son duo for ice cream after dinner, later in the evening.

The door bell dinged, Ishan already knew who it was.

"I'll get it!" Alice, Vihaan's nanny, spoke from the drawing room and opened the front door, exchanging formal pleasantries with the cricketer.

Vihaan squeaked with excitement as he heard a familiar voice call him out.

Virat almost ran through the entrance as he made an immediate bee line to Vihaan and lifted him up, placing kisses all over his happy face, soiled with dried cerelac and drool dripping down his chin.